Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you identify this horseman? I have an idea of who it is, but I'm not sure... I think you may know... I'm slipping reprints in Christmas cards, would hate to send it to the wrong person...

-niv

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

hoping JBH sees this before he feeds his cattle this morning...

-niv

·
Registered
123 Posts
Joe- Here's my best guess---

looks like Delmar to me. The hat kinda shades his face but I'm pretty sure that's who it is. By the way joe,we got about 1.5" of snow today --should make for some good calling this weekend--gonna give it a try ,will let you know how I do. Take care and Merry Christmas!

Jim

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim -

I figured it to be Delmar, but he's on our horse at our place. Couldn't figure it all out for sure - the rider could just have easily been one of dad's army buddies... I'll slip a copy in the card I'm sending to Del/Patty and see what they think. There will be a photo in the card I'm sending your way, too... Hard to imagine we were ever that young...

Bruce - you sly dog - you caught us...

Roy Rogers actually bought his horse, Trigger, from my family. When we owned him he was known as "Major" but Roy renamed him.

when ridden, Major liked to rub up against clothesline poles and walk under low hanging apple tree branches. Like many ranch horses, he didn't get ridden enough and was too fat and lazy to be useful as a working horse.

When I rode him, I needed a board fence to tie him to before I mounted. The stirrups were WAY too high in the air, I had to climb up to the top of the board fence and get on from there. Short legged kid, short stirrups, tall horse. If I ever came off - bucked off or on my own free will - I had to lead the horse back to the farm to get back on... my dog Mitch liked to bark at Major's feet, I had early training in saddle bronc riding but my career never took off...

-niv

1 - 5 of 5 Posts