Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a Hollywood press and cleaned it up. Can anyone tell eme the length of stroke that I need for 50 cal reloading? What thread are the dies?? The Hollywood had an insert for the 7/8 X 14 for normal dies and teh catalogue states it will reload the big nitro double rifle carts. The ? is Will the Hollywood serve to reload 50 cal??

Thanx.

T.D.C. :confused:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
BMG dies are 1¼"

Have heard that Hollywood made a great 50BMG press but you appear to have the model right below the BMG press.The stroke would have to be 6" + and be able to handle 1¼" dies

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have found a Hollywood press and cleaned it up. Can anyone tell me the length of stroke that I need for 50 cal reloading? What thread are the dies?? The Hollywood had an insert for the 7/8 X 14 for normal dies and teh catalogue states it will reload the big nitro double rifle carts. The ? is Will the Hollywood serve to reload 50 cal??

Thanx.

T.D.C. :confused:
-

The 50BMG dies come in several sizes... NONE of them are 7/8x14.

1-1/2"x12 is the most common thread size.

Some of the Hollywood presses were set up for the 50BMG, but most were not.

The Hollywood press does NOT have the leverage required to FL a 50BMG case, without really leaning on it, because the press does NOT have a swinging arm for increasing leverage... it has a very simple "knee joint" lever.

Among 50BMG shooters, the large Hornady is the top choice, including their match dies.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight. With the insert out it will take the dies but may not have the poop. off to E-bay with it. and use the preoceeds to get the Hornady.

T.D.C.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the insight. With the insert out it will take the dies but may not have the poop. off to E-bay with it. and use the preoceeds to get the Hornady.

T.D.C.
You will like the Hornady.

Remember to also lube the INSIDE of the necks when sizing... the necks of the brass are thick and the expander ball won't come out if they are dry... (trust me on this - I have the tee-shirt :( )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts