Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering buying an M1A. I would love to have a National Match w/ a S.S. barrel, but due to financial costraints, I am considering a "loaded" M1A w/ S.S. barrel. Any of you guys have any experience w/ these rifles? I have a "part time neighbor" who is a "Distinguished National Match" competitor, I am sure that He would recomend a N.M. rifle, but this is "not in the cards" for me right now. What can I expect in the accuracy dep't w/ the loaded rifle? Any load thoughts? I am thinking about 125 tnt's for everyday wardrobe, what would 150-155 Palmas be capable of? Where would you look to buy a quantity of quality magazines? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not interested in scoping this rifle, I want a "go to" rifle should things "go south" (like my back did a couple of days ago) he he (not really, it did) Russ-- Thank in advance for any input!!!! Aim small, miss small:eek:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would expect a box-stock M1A to be capable of around 2" groups with the right loads, even with iron sights. You've got to be capable of shooting those kinds of groups, though! A lot of people buy the basic rifle and upgrade things over time, so you'll be in good company there. M1A mags (and parts) are expensive, at least good quality ones are - around $40 on up. Google 'M14 Forums' and check there for info and mags.

In a previous life I used to build NM M14s for the Army, but that was MANY years ago. Now when I need something done that I'm not equipped to do on an M1A, I send it to old friend and former co-worker Jon Tank, at Tank's Rifle Shop (www.tanksrifleshop.com).

If you don't plan to scope the rifle and you primarily want a battle rifle, I'd suggest you look at an FAL. Mags are under $10, parts are readily available and quite affordable, it has an adjustable gas system, and they're less expensive, especially if you buy a parts gun. They're generally not as accurate as an M1A and the trigger sucks in comparison, but they're equally reliable - some would argue more reliable.

·
Registered
751 Posts
2 MOA is about as good as it's gonna get for those rifles, I've seen some shoot a good bit worse though, closer to 3 MOA.

I have a "Super Match", that in calm conditions with a scope will shoot just under 1".

The M1As require lots of maintenance to keep them "tuned" though, even the match rifles....

The AR is kicking everyone's butt in high power and you don't see many M1As winning anything anymore. The M1A has a bit of an advantage at 600yds if it's windy... but even then it usually doesn't make up for the better scores the AR's shoot at 2-300 yds.

Mine has become a "fun gun". I shoot the AR in high power now..... had to bite the bullet as I got tired of getting whipped by mouse guns.

If you want a 308 Battle rifle, the FAL is a much better rifle.... especially one built by someone who knows what he's doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.