Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NFL has forced a Indy church to cancel it's Super Bowl party. Evidently, the church violated the NFL's rules against showing it's games by;
A. Charging a fee (to cover snacks and soft drinks)
B. Using a TV larger than 55".
C. Using the words "Super Bowl" to advertise the event without permission.

I wonder;
A. If I can get into a sports bar in Indy or Chicago to watch the game and pay no cover charge.
B. If any of those bars have a TV larger than 55".
C. If the bars are using those words without permission.

Don't get me wrong. I am certainly not against bars doing any of these things. I just wonder why a church can't provide a somewhat different atmosphere for it's members and their guests to watch the game. It doesn't even appear to be a fund-raiser. Strikes me as a bad public image move for the NFL. Are there any teeth in the NFL's rules? Or......... would they prosecute a violation as vigorously as they do their substance abuse rule?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070201/SPORTS03/70201036

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's about as bad as Disney under Michael Eisner suing a little league team for using a Disney character on their uniforms.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Doug I read in the Indy paper this morning that sports bars were exempt because they show games all year. I agree with you. I think the NFL and Nascar both are becoming too big for their britches.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Unless they have an illegal hook up all the bars that show the game have to pay a licensing fee, it is part of the cable / sat bill:D . The amount and size of monitors will determine whether or not the league can or will come after you for more cash. Additionally you have to offer a certain level of service and pay a more expensive licensing fee if you want to use the actual words NFL or Super Bowl in your promotional ads. If you noticed they always refer to it as the Big Game if they want to tie it into a non licensed event promo. Personally I don't care what they charge or who they charge, its their league. I will continue to watch it as long as it is on "free" broadcast TV. The first time I have to pay an additional fee of call and order it I will pass.

On another note I say Indy wins by 14-17 points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.