Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that know Mmoose, I talked to him the other day. He has fried his computerand has lost all data, pictures bookmarks and all. What do you all recommend for data storage. I need a place that will be around in the years to come, not some free start up that will be gone in a year or 2.

Thanks

Gabriel

BTW I like the new board a lot my Avitar was taken at Kruger National Park in South Africa in Oct. We humans are fenced in at night and the animals run free LOL

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Does it have to be on-line? I use a USB 2.0 external hard drive for back-up and some storage. It just plugs into a USB port and use it like any other drive. Best part is you can easily unplug it and go to another computer to back it up or transfer data. Some even have a one-button "EZ" backup feature. Photos or reference info I also burn to CD/DVD depending on amount of data. They are relatively inexpensive. on sale, you should be able to get 160 - 250 GB storage for $100 to $150, depending on the sale. Can go up to 500GB.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unless you're doing a business, i'd ditto TinMan. Thumb drives are up to 2 GB capacity for quick and easy backups. For USB harddrives you can usually match the capacity of your computers hard drive. CD and DVD burners are a lot of capacity for the money but, take time to do the job.

But, I did a YAHOO search for "online data backups" and came up with a ton of stuff. The one that caught my eye was the AT&T Data Vault starting at $5.95 per month for the first 2 GB.

AT&T Data Vault

Good Luck,

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys

I have three different pin drives for odds and ends. I am a little leary of an ext. hard drive, but I guess if it is only used for storage it would not be as prone to a mechanical failure. I have always thought if there was a fire in the house one of the first things after making sure the family was safe would be the hard drive. I back up Quickbook files for my business, but so much other would be tough to replace.

Thank you
Gabriel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts