Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The last real job I had, I left in May of 1984. I was a lineman for BellSouth for 15 years. It looked like I was not ever going to be promoted, several reasons, some my own fault. Decided I didn't want to hump telephone poles 'til I was 65, so when the opportunity to leave with some $$ came around, I took the $$ and ran. Regretted it once for about 5 minutes, but that passed.

Started and built two businesses, don't make much $$, but wouldn't change if I had it to do over. I'm not much for looking backwards.

Rick

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Hmmm, other than saying "I screwed up", honesty

is the best policy. Don't ever get into the "I said/they said" arena. Usually the simpler the better. Maybe, if after a couple of years with previous employer, you could see the writing was on the wall as far as advancement. This could be because of someone who was an actual "water-walker". I usually try to play up the idea of dependable, conscientious and above average intelligence and offer my Pastor of 20+ years as reference. Can't remember being late for work.......You know, the MR SOLID personna.

I have found that if I painted myself as THE gift for his problems it was too hard to live up to. Always a learning curve plus possibly some jealousy or resistance from the other workers.

I tell'em that I worked with some water walkers and we had 2-3 in a shop of 25. Me? Just a good solid B to B+ toolmaker who wants to do right. Sometimes a little self effacing works out.

Maybe some food for thought here, FWIW.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well you're the one that asked.( It's a wine party)
Let's back up a few years and see where this leads:

1989: I left the family farm as I couldn't make enough ($8500/yr net) to support my family. The eighties were tough times in the Midwest.

87-90: Worked construction away from home. Made good money but only saw family on weekends. Blew out knee late in 89 and gave up the away game in early 1990. Sat out a few months and got a year of college credits in.

90-92: Mechanic work out of the garage and a couple house remodels to keep income coming in. Going broke slowly.

93-95: Work at local welding shop 6-6, 6days a week. $$ fair($8/hr) but lots of hours.

95-98: cnc machine job shop. I loved this job but got stuck as night (4pm-2AM) lead and never saw family. Quit on promise for day job at...

98-2003: Rubbermaid, Maintenance Mechanic. Supposed to be on nights for 6 weeks and rotate to days. I was still on nights (8PM-8AM) when I quit. Rotating shift. 2on, 2off, 3on, 2off, 2on, 3off... never ending cycle, No holidays, no sick leave, no life. Good pay but no time to use it and still on nights.

2003-04: Made a decision to lessen my work load and be with family. I pulled a job as Plant Maintenance Supervisor at a factory close to home. 6AM-3:30PM, M-Th and 6-11:30 Friday. Loved the challenge, people, work, life is good.
Wife decides she wants us to move to Florida. She can partner with her sister in Real estate. It is best for our marriage if I go too.

2004- present: Arrive in Naples, Florida the day after "Charlie" destroys Port Charlotte.
Work for my wife's Nephew until June 05 when I am hospitalized for anemia from blood loss (hemorrhoids: docs said it wasn't anything to be concerned about).
October 05 "Wilma" hit Marco Island/Naples. Real estate bottoms( It is just now starting to move again).
May 06 I Ruptured a disc in back.
(Had to let insurance go as couldn't pay premiums)
Worked light jobs through mid summer. I am a nuisance to my Wife.
In the spring an acquaintance/friend (Ron) had asked if I was interested in managing a new gun shop he is about to open. Gunshop? I say yes. County keeps delaying permits. August: Ron is diagnosed with cancer, goes through KEMO and radiation, then is scheduled for surgery on October 25. Ron died on Dec. 28th. The store would have opened this Month.

Today: I'm looking for a job. 46yrs old, bad knee, bad back and lots of experience in heavy labor trades.

Please pass the cheese.

·
Registered
720 Posts
last job I quit

I'm still waiting to quit one. Have been with this company for going on 34 years, started six days after college. Every day has not been perfect, and there have been a few stretches of a year or so that were rough. But when looked at over all, it's been a great ride, I have worked my way to the top & I am pretty much my own boss. now.
I am not pointing fingers at anyone here, but I think a lot of people today have un realistic expectations about them selves & the value they create in a job & how fast they should get more responsibility. And when the don't get the next big promotion, they are off to greener pastures & they often start the cycle again. I've seen it happen many many times.
Flame on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pretty simple, after 20+ years, the old man who started the business died, the son took over, changed some of the key people. Did not like the changes, so went somewhere else to work. Always lots of work in my line.
Barry

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tired of the long hours, never knowing who it would be with next, the complaints of being too large. Honestly, it just wasnt a way for a man to make a living.
FF,

I don't agree with your politics AT ALL, but your humor...yeah, I like it!

Gotta' give credit where it's due, that was funny.

Steve

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Company aquired by Big competitor, National sales force reviewed,There sales guys win, My position eliminated last thurs.
Moral of this story,never think your valuable to a company,your just an employee, an HR number. The buyers management and sales force almost always gets kept. Movin on, Hey anybody need a gooood salesmen to cover the Mid Atlantic States? Baby needs new shoes:)

·
Registered
431 Posts

I quit teaching . Hated the paper work . Didn't like lesson plans, But loved June July and August . Where else can one work 185 days a year and recieve a pay check 12 months of the year. 2 weeks off @ Thanks Giving , 2 weeks off at Christmas . 2 weeks off @ Easter , great retirement , and get to play the whole summer. Man what a dumb decision . Now I work 90 days a year total , fight goverment regulations , paper work up the gazoo and no retirement plan . Remember fellows ..... " The failure to plan is the plan for failure" :confused: Some farmers in this area are Triple A Farmers , April to August to Arizona .:D I think by the time I have made my last land payment I will be too old to drive to Az.;)

Any one here with 2 mill to buy me out ? will sell the IGG business separate :p

·
Registered
423 Posts
several reasons......

1) I had 36 years seniority
2) also had an early heart attack
3) couldn't take any more stress and pressure
4) i got tired of being a target for UNFOUNDED and ALWAYS dismissed discrimination charges

no way would i ever go back to that stinking rat race...bitter???damn right!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Retired from the USAF after 21 yrs 2 yrs ago

Staeted working for a company that specialized in building pool cages. Managed five crews(sub-contractors) in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte while living in Tampa. Spent Mon-Fri away from the family.
Owner cared about speed and profit. I cared about quality and customer satisfaction. Needless to say, we didn't see eye to eye. 2-1/2 months later, I left in the middle of the day and never regrettted it.

I got a job working for the civil engineering group on MacDill AFB and I really like it. We have good and bad days of work, but the good usually prevail.

For the humor side of things...

The reason I quit my last job was a conflict of interest:
They wanted me to show up on time AND work
I wasn't interested in doing either...:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
The best reason

:D :D
OK guys I looking for some different answers to this question. Give me your best shot! I need some serious answers, a few funny ones wont hurt either.
I had an opportunity to retire @ age 56, so I left.
When our company was purchased by a "Corporate Raider", There was a grandfather clause, in the agreement that the new company would honor the old company's retirement rules for five years. Age 55 with 15 years service.
I waited to the last day and left with 56 years and almost 38 years. I left for the medical plan, you wouldn't believe what I got and still have.
Now I had six years until SS kicked in and the wife had seven. It was a little lean but if you wanted a job without bennies, they were out there. I swept parking lots part time until the '93 resession and stores closed, you don't need to sweep an empty Mall.
Then I worked at a injection mold manufacturer, picking up and delivering plastic molds part time.
When I reached 63 and the first SS check came in, I quit.:) :D
So for the last 17 years, I really never had a real job. ;)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Fired,but was requested to reapply in a year

Should have insisted some other sucker have the lead man job. Kinda hard leading a crew of 60 guys when your the minority but gota walk on needles to keep the foreigners outa the HR office:mad: Mr politically correct I ain't and ain't much of a people person either :eek:
Was a good reason to leave the land of 10,000 taxes and affirmative action for the varmint hunters paradise of Wyoming :D :D :D
Kinda miss the old Rover job I had before they made me lead man. Its ben more than a year but he11 ain't froze over and I ain't going back if it does :cool:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
reason I asked

I am lookimg for work and went to a class on resumes and interviewing today. The teach said that you should never say anthing bad about your previous employer come up with a trivial excuse. Sounds ok right? Then she gives us an example. She says I'd say my employer and I had a differance of oppinion, she liked the thermostat at 60 deg and I liked it at 70 deg:eek: . I replied to the techer "What???" No way would that ever pass for a valid excuse to leave a job, I told here to give me another. She say ok , My employed like the ______ and I like the Lakers. :eek: again! She is out of here mind.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I quit my last job to buy a house! I used to work for a water dept in a very well to do suburb of Boston, loved the work, had lots of friends in the area, but didn't make enough money to buy a house of my own. In that town a very small house on 1/2 acre of land started at $500,000....... a decent sized 3 bedroom on 1 acre of land was over a million. As a town employee it was impossible for me to own a house. So, interviewed for a job in NH as an assistant to the water superintendent with the possibility of being Supt when the current one retired. Well, he retired 11 months after I took the job which means I have been Supt for just over 3 1/2yrs. We bought a house and our payments including taxes is $400 less per month than what we were paying for an apartment in the business district. We have 1 3/4 acres, a 3 bedroom house, river front property, a 28' x 70' two story barn, our own yard, great neighbors and more!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I managed a dental lab and got fired..

for taking my two week vacation. I went on a six day fishing trip out of San Filipe, Mexico and when I got back I received a certified letter that said I was terminated, call for my stuff and do not step foot on the property! In one week I opened up my own Dental Lab at home and took all of their Ceramic accounts. Take that you @%&$*#! Been real happy with their decision ever since.

·
Registered
693 Posts
discovered I couldn't sell . . .

I'm an engineer thru and thru, but tried my hand at selling steel buildings for a year. took a cut in pay (half) and moved halfway across South Dakota to give it a whirl. sold one building during that year, should have sold six. Tried to sell my house in one part of the state while paying rent at the other (double housing and utility bills). eventually drained my savings and decided I needed to get back into engineering. my new job found me and I couldn't be happier at work. I expect to retire in 15 years - as an engineer... with any luck the same company I'm with now.

I graduated college in 1982 - held 7 or 8 different posts at the same company for the first 15 years of employment. Since then, I'm on my fifth different employer. My lesson learned thru it all - the grass only looks greener. Each situation has it's pro's and con's. some are worth leaving over, some aren't.

-niv

·
Registered
114 Posts
Changed twice since leaving the farm in '88. 1st one, worked up from low man to night foreman in a machine shop, but couldn't get on days, and the old out of date machines were getting to me. Left for better pay, days, and new machinery. Worked up to CNC Programmer, and was happy with the job and people. Son started dating a girl whose father so happens to be best friend of my current boss. Got one of those once in a lifetime offers you couldn't refuse. I figure I'm set for the 10 years I have left till retirement, they gonna have to carry me out of this place!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.