Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the old board there was a discussion about Scotch whiskey. Someone did an indepth review of the different brands with flavor comparisons. I did not print it out and have lost access to it. Hopefully the person who did the comparison will have kept it on his machine and can repost it.

Mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oh Boy!!!!

Talk about mixed reviews!!!:D

I have a bottle of Johnny Walker Green on my desk..... a Christmas Present from my Daughter living in England. Also have a bottle of Famous Grouse. Now, talk about a difference in texture and flavor!!!

The to make it more interesting.... I have a bottle of Glennfiddich within reach.:)

Each individuals tastebuds find enjoyment in different flavors. Blended or Single malt.

Then ya have some of us that just enjoy most of it all.;)

Now, does a bottle of Columbian Dark Rum, a gift from a friend, plus a wonderful bottle of 12 year old Wellers Wheated Bourbon nearby eliminate my being a Scotch drinker?

BTW.... drinking rules in this house is simple. 1 drink on a worknight, no more then 2 on a non-work night. Certainly keeps the head clear in the morning and makes a bottle last quite awhile.

This thread is gonna be interesting.........

·
Registered
91 Posts
On the old board there was a discussion about Scotch whiskey. Someone did an indepth review of the different brands with flavor comparisons. I did not print it out and have lost access to it. Hopefully the person who did the comparison will have kept it on his machine and can repost it.

Mike

Mike,

My favorite is Abelour. The 10y is a real bargain.

John in Oregon

·
Registered
204 Posts
To me Scotch is like diesel fuel in taste. But...

What I like is a double shot glass of Hot Damn ( cinnamon liquor) before bedtime. It is really good sipping a little bit at a time. I looked it up and the vitamin & health books list cinnamon pills for digestion aids. I like to be healthy and like my cinnamon in liquid form.;)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Scotch

I just never could cultivate a taste for Scotch. I did give it a real fair chance as a younger man. But Bourbon that’s another story. Finally gave away my last bottle of Scotch after it had set in the cabinet for more than a few years.

·
Registered
270 Posts
SCOTCH! At what age does a man (or woman) develope a taste for this stuff? Aparrently I'm not there yet, can't stand the stuff myself (yet) I do however like the taste of a smooth bourbon or blended whiskey, a couple come to mind, actually I'm having one of those as I type this. A crown and Sierra Mist is hard to beat or better yet the blended concoction thats called Phillips Union, smooth as glass with a hint of vanilla MMMMMMMMMMM good, would highly reccommend if you've not tried this. Just my thoughts at this moment. time for another sip anyway.....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I don't know anything about Scotch and have only had just a few kinds (liked 'em all heehee). But I had a glass over Christmas that my boss at work poured me, that was GOOD. Said it was 30 year old Macallan. I looked for Macallan the next time I was in a liquor store here in Utah, they don't have it. Might be a good thing, as I suspect that stuff is probably expensive. But dang, that was GOOD.

- DAA

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I never met a single malt I didn't like. The really good stuff isn't in your average, garden variety liquor store. If you ask for good scotch they usually hand you Chivas or Glenlivet, which aren't bad, but aren't even close to the best. The large discount liquor store I go to in Nashville stocks 12-15 of the really good ones, including Laphroiag,Talisker, Macallan etc. It's a test of my will everytime I walk past them to pick up a bottle of Bushmills....but my checking account balance helps me restain myself.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Don't Completely Rule Out Blends....

....I know I know... single malts are the kings but lets not forget about Old Johnny Walker Black. As far as blends go, it is great. I don't care for the Red at all. Do any of yall know if the Green and the Blue Labels are blended? -Cliff-

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well....the bottle of Green on my desk...

....I know I know... single malts are the kings but lets not forget about Old Johnny Walker Black. As far as blends go, it is great. I don't care for the Red at all. Do any of yall know if the Green and the Blue Labels are blended? -Cliff-

Says "Johnny Walker Green Label is a Blended Malt Scotch Whiskey."

All of JW's Scotchs are blended. Daughter saw a bottle of Gold in the Birmingham (England) Airport. Price was nearly $200.00 USD after conversion.:eek: And last time I priced a bottle of Green here, it was $105.00. These are 700ml bottles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The rule of "one drink a night during the week and two drinks a night on the weekend" is a good rule. Too much of any liquor is a bad thing. It will make you take back things you didn't steal:rolleyes:

Having said that........I love a good scotch or a bourbon:D I usually don't get any expensive stuff. For the money I like Dewars. (inexpensive blended scotch). I have had the pleasure of trying a couple of better single malts and they really do differ in flavor-so don't try one kind and figure they all taste the same. Most folks either like scotch,or they don't. As a kid, my dad would sometimes drink a little scotch and water. I used to try it as a kid and even liked it then. (I don't like to add water now.......other then a few ice cubes) I can't really suggest any good single malts, because my experience is limited. But an easy place to start is Dewars-it's pretty easy to drink and if you don't like it.....you haven't got $70< into it. Be safe.

(ps-as a side note......if you've never tried Jameson Irish Whiskey, give it a try sometime. It's not cheap, but dang smooth!")

·
Registered
169 Posts
Duff, funny you should mention Jameson

I guess this ol Bear is a whimpy-dog as I like it smooth. Bought my first bottle at the Coast Guard package store a few years ago out of curiosity and now I`ve abandoned Chivas like an ugly Betty. Hehe. Seems like a good buy for the money and it`s great for sipping, but I have noticed the taste in my afternoon coffee a time or two....:p

·
Registered
92 Posts
Scotch=Diesel fuel

Burbon is thisn's choice. Woodford Reserve on a little ice and short glass
otherwise I would be over doing it (ha! ha! ) never done that before:D
Taste what ever you like! Have a Great New Year!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Years ago...

...I used to drink J&B, Cutty, and Dewars on the rocks and I liked them. Then, I met a young Scotsman who threw an annual scotch tasting party. He introduced me to single malts with no adulterants like ice or water, and I haven't looked back. Make mine Caol Ila, Dalwhinnie, or Lagavulin, please, and don't short shot me! :)

Vardoc

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
HW,
Not to be a smarta$$, but just because FG is the top seller in Scotland doesn't mean much. Look at Budweiser here (VBG). No offense buddy, agreed about the taste buds, mine matured at about age 25. 35 years later they're hangin' in there.

Rick

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know anything about Scotch and have only had just a few kinds (liked 'em all heehee). But I had a glass over Christmas that my boss at work poured me, that was GOOD. Said it was 30 year old Macallan. I looked for Macallan the next time I was in a liquor store here in Utah, they don't have it. Might be a good thing, as I suspect that stuff is probably expensive. But dang, that was GOOD.

- DAA
Dave,
Found a place on the internet that describes the flavours and prices of different liquors. That 30 year Macallan goes for almost a grand a bottle. I hope you really enjoyed it.
http://www.internetwines.com/rws24405.html

Mike

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.