Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pondering a purchase and I'm curious about the opinions of others about this particular design. I've fondled one of the fairly new KAHR P45s and have read all of the reviews that I could get my hands on. The "general" consensus seems to be that it is a good concealed carry or back-up handgun. Accurate enough for the task for which it was designed. Very lightweigh. Small enough to conceal on a frame my size. I have or have had several 1911 versions and am comfortable with them with the exception that they are heavy. These P45s seem "toy-like" in comparison, weight wise. Recoil in a handgun is not a big issue with me. I have strong hands by nature and vocation. Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge of the P45 series from KAHR? TIA. Bill.............

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I don't have one but if I were going to carry a CC every day and wanted a 45, I would be looking at the SW 4516. It's the gun of choice around here for the LEOs. Small, built like a tank, accurate, and fairly light.

I would probably look for something in a 9mm or 380. If you have to drop a person, the jury may wonder why you used such a large caliber-better known as excessive force. The 9mm/380 would have more ammo in the clip just in case you can't hit between the nipples. Hopefully, you never get put in that position to have to defend yourself. Most folks have difficulties living with the results in spite of their being correct in their actions. Either way, it's best to try to avoid any situation that may lead to confrontation- right or wrong.

·
Registered
308 Posts
heard

good things about that particular gun as well. I dont have one so cant say for sure. My CC gun is Springfield XD in 40sw in subcompact. It conceals easy onmy smaller frame and is suprisingly accurate for a sub gun. I practice a lot with it in various positions and have never had a problem with it. Tough to beat em for the price.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Woodchucker....

My wife has a very simple test system for determining whether or not she likes a gun. If it does not feel good in her hand, she wants no part of it. It took me awhile to realize I had the same criteria.

It does not matter what writers, experts, or the guru on the corner says about a handgun, if it does not feel comfortable in your hand, it and you will never preform to it's expected level.

Also remember that magazine writers will often give a handgun or rifle a good review when that maker has a large ad in their magazine. Or has just flat out given one to the writer. Ok, that's my slam at magazine writers. Sorry.

After a lifetime of carrying revolvers or 1911's as a personal carry weapon, I have shifted slightly to what I consider is my backup carry weapon when the 1911 is not practical. I carry a Russian made Makarov in 380 acp loaded 85 grain Supervel hollow points. Granted, this is rare ammo, but I only need a mag full and I have plenty to spare.

OK... lot's of nonsense in my posting, but I shall repeat myself.

If it feels good in the hand, then it is worth the next step in buying and seeing if you made the right decision. If you are unsure, then I suggest you examine the situation further.

Mortis.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
?? Excessive force??

I don't have one but if I were going to carry a CC every day and wanted a 45, I would be looking at the SW 4516. It's the gun of choice around here for the LEOs. Small, built like a tank, accurate, and fairly light.

I would probably look for something in a 9mm or 380. If you have to drop a person, the jury may wonder why you used such a large caliber-better known as excessive force. The 9mm/380 would have more ammo in the clip just in case you can't hit between the nipples. Hopefully, you never get put in that position to have to defend yourself. Most folks have difficulties living with the results in spite of their being correct in their actions. Either way, it's best to try to avoid any situation that may lead to confrontation- right or wrong.
Excessive force?? What kind of lawyer gave you advice like that?? I'm betting none!!! There ain't no such thing, if you are justified in using deadly force within the confines of your state laws, what you take him out with is moot.
'Spose I should drop my Smith snubby with +P loads in favor of a .22 short?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Remember that common sense........

does not always prevail in the legal system. And while I don't necessarily disagree with you, I do know from personal experience, that whatever you are carrying should be loaded with factory ammo.....and not some "special handload".

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Not directly on point but here you go for what its worth. When the Kahrs first came out, I worked at a gunstore part time and not one of the people that we sold one to had a bad thing to say about the 9mm version. They were built like tanks and according to all reports, utterly reliable. When the 40s came out, the only thing "negative" that anyone had to say was that it generated a lot of torque when fired.
Indoor ranges are getting more and more rare, and those with an extensive selection of rental guns are even rarer still. But it may be worthwhile to find one and give it a try.
It's a hike for you, but there used to be two that I knew of. One was Selectfire, which was just south of Baltimore. The other was On Target, just outside the north gate of Fort Meade. Maybe you can google up a phone number and see if : A) Those places still exist. And B) If they have the pistol you're after.

Good luck and Merry Christmas

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Excessive Force?? You want to get Shot yourself?

From a former Law enforcement officer take this advice. It would be great if you are never placed in that situation, but if you absolutely have no other choice and have to shoot someone...Then you better do it real good with the biggest caliber that you have and hope that person stays down and doesn't get off a shot and kill YOU with it. If that happens then all this is moot and you will not have to worry about "going to court." as you will be Dead and the perp probably will get off to boot. .45's are the way to go

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have no experience with the Kahr but I have a Glock 30 for concealed carry I can vouch for. The new Glock mini in 45 GAP looks really good and has a slimmer grip.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I own a Kahr...and can tell you I love it.I have a MK40 which is the all stainless model of there pocket guns. I wish I would have gotten the polymer model since mine is to heavy for the way I like to carry, IN MY POCKET. Great quality gun,Accurate, I highly recomend the KAHR.
Mike F.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Our Sheriffs Dept just issued 40 cal Glocks, Mdl 22. Since I'm a reserve officer, I don't have to carry it a lot, but when I'm not in uniform, I carry a 45 Kimber Pro CDP, or Wilson Combat full size. It's just hard to ignore the .45, but I've had no personal experience with the Kahr.

·
Registered
387 Posts

There is a flip side to that coin. If you shoot someone once with a 45, it may be easier to defend than shooting them 3 times with a 380. Many uninformed people look at the number of shots to determine excessive force.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Excessive force?? What kind of lawyer gave you advice like that?? I'm betting none!!! There ain't no such thing, if you are justified in using deadly force within the confines of your state laws, what you take him out with is moot.
'Spose I should drop my Smith snubby with +P loads in favor of a .22 short?
I might add that juries - criminal or civil- usually look at the number of rounds fired to determine excessive force.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts