Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FRIEND CALLED NEEDING $$. HE IS IN Fla AND GOT A SPEEDING TICKET FOR 102 M/Hr. What is the fine (appx. in Fla.) I assume they have reciprocity with Pennsylvania, so he will pay the piper when he gets back. Any advice or ideas. This guy is a great friend but never grew up. Still a Peter Pan at age 50.

Good thing he didn't rent the Lexus he wanted.

T.D.C.

·
Registered
358 Posts
FRIEND CALLED NEEDING $$. HE IS IN Fla AND GOT A SPEEDING TICKET FOR 102 M/Hr. What is the fine (appx. in Fla.) I assume they have reciprocity with Pennsylvania, so he will pay the piper when he gets back. Any advice or ideas. This guy is a great friend but never grew up. Still a Peter Pan at age 50.

Good thing he didn't rent the Lexus he wanted.

T.D.C.
I don,t know about FL. but I can tell you about KY.I went to visit my son at Tenn.Unv.I was caught for 5 mpg.over in boone county Ky.My fine was $149 bucks.I was clocked at 82mph. in a 65 mph zone.The officer was a good guy, and wrote me for 5 over the limit/no points.I feel very forunate with what I got.:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hes not in jail ??? Every ticket I wrote that was 20 mph over the posted limit was a ticket to jail for reckless driving !!! their is no excuse in the world for going that fast unless your on your way to the ER and you had better have called ahead !!

Anyway , I'm sure its gonna be very stiff especaily if it was a city officer that got him generaly city fines are more than if a trooper got him , I'd say close to $250

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Ticket

Something sounds a bit funny. He doesn't know how much the ticket is? When I got my last out of State ticket in 1979 the officer gave me the cost right on the spot. How does he even know he needs money? I think you're not hearing the whole story.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably not, but he is good for it. You have to know him I have for 35 years. A constant source of entertainment. When his wife gets the whole story out of him we will have yet something else to torture him about.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Times and the law may have changed, but when I lived in FL anything more than 20mph over the limit got you a mandatory court appearance.

Fine and continued driving privledges to be determined by the judge......

They didn't always "book you" but you were "arrested and signed your own bond at the scene" and given a court summons on the spot.

The officer could haul your butt to jail if he wanted and go through the whole dog and pony show.

My son got nailed on a motorcycle in the early 80s doing 126mph on I10 between Panama City and Tallahassee....

And he was in the Air Force at the time..... very expensive lesson.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Georgia is where they be rough on a feller

I was southbound from Elizabeth City NC (flight school) for Miami Air Station when the left rear tire and wheel decided it was time to take a different route than the Karmen Giha( the lug bolts snapped). It didn`t turn into an accident, but the wheel crossed the centerline and rolled by a state bull going the other direction.

Well, don`t you know, he musta not gotten any suger lately from a donut (or the wife) and he was not what I`d call "nice".
The funny part was he acted like I had control over my wheel departing the damn car! Haha!

When I told him I`d be sure to keep better watch on my stray car parts,
He leaned in and looked at me real hard, and told me he had to go back to the patrol car and decide whether to take me to jail or drag me into the woods and beat hell out of me for my smart mouth.

I decided not to ask him for the "woods option" considerin he had the gun. As rude as he was, I sure woulda enjoyed the chance to show him what big city streetfighting is.

He come back and ragged on me about how stupid Navy folks was and how the Marines were the baddest folks born and on and on and when I pointed out that the Coast Guard was not the navy and that we generally tried not to pass up the chance to beat the shit out of Navy people whenever possible, he got in his car and left. just drove off without a word.....

Sure glad I didn`t hafta show that 6'8", 350 pound pussy what the dirt looked like.:eek: :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was southbound from Elizabeth City NC (flight school) for Miami Air Station when the left rear tire and wheel decided it was time to take a different route than the Karmen Giha. It didn`t turn into an accident, but the wheel crossed the centerline and rolled by a state bull going the other direction.

Well, don`t you know, he musta not gotten any suger lately from a donut (or the wife) and he was not what I`d call "nice".
The funny part was he acted like I had control over my wheel departing the damn car! Haha!

When I told him I`d be sure to keep better watch on my stray car parts,
He leaned in and looked at me real hard, and told me he had to go back to the patrol car and decide whether to take me to jail or drag me into the woods and beat hell out of me for my smart mouth.

I decided not to ask him for the "woods option" considerin he had the gun. As rude as he was, I sure woulda enjoyed the chance to show him what big city streetfighting is.

He come back and ragged on me about how stupid Navy folks was and how the Marines were the baddest folks born and on and on and when I pointed out that the Coast Guard was not the navy and that we generally tried not to pass up the chance to beat the shit out of Navy people whenever possible, he got in his car and left. just drove off without a word.....

Sure glad I didn`t hafta show that 6'8", 350 pound pussy what the dirt looked like.:eek: :D

Easy there tiger,,er Bear, I have observed a fatal accident from a "stray" wheel ( Triple fatality, three other injuries) Please keep all arms legs inside the car and all wheels attached!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
102 MPH and other such braindead stunts put the lives at risk of all the other innocent drivers on the road!! Whatever he gets, he deserves triple that. It aint cute and it aint funny:mad:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am betting he will be out at least $500.00. Which won't even cover the ride to the ER or the morgue when he crashes and he will crash.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree with the above post about letting him set a while. If he was really going 102 mph, I would give him a chance to think about his actions. We are all judged by our actions. This act is simply dangerous. I'm sure there is more to the story but from what I read here, I'm not sure he needs to have a way to buy himself out of the issue. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You fellows are kinda hard on speeders!

Gee Whizz, he barely broke a 100. Around here in Atlanta on route 400 they call it the Georgia Autobahn. These idiots fly at over 100 all the time! Guess I would be quite the hippocrate if I said I never traveled over the posted speed, do all the time, but not quite 10+.

A point of interest- I got a Warning Ticket back in the 70's for cruising at exactly 127MPH in New Mexico. That trooper pull up behind my back bumper so fast I didn't see anything until he turned his headlamps on! I thought it was UFO. Glad I was sobber! The speedometer in 340 Formula "S" Cuda was obviously off by 2 mph, cause my intending speed was 125.:D

A couple years later- a window in my 1967 Corvette Stingray Couple, 427 Tri-Power, blow right out of its frame. Sounded like a Cherry Bomb! Last time I took her over 160. A Vette like that just sold on at the auto auction on TV for over $250K.:(

Live and learn...

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No defense for the guy but he was on an interstate and there was not a car in sight, he wanted to wind it up. It was not a cruising speed. He said he hid about 110 and was backing down when he got it by radar. I can't say I have done less. The MB 600 SL is a rocking chair at 100. Don't aske me how I know. And the salesman was sitting there reading a magazine.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Well, you're right, no defense. The fact that there was not a car in sight makes it OK? Do we only do the right thing when someone is watching??

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Some states have a law that allows anyone caught going over 100 mph goes straight to jail, and has to post bail. If Florida is one of these states, that bail will run him in the neighborhood of $1,000.00 And bondsmen wont usually write it for out-of-staters, because it is the rate of return is poor, vs the amount they stand to make.

And if he just received a simple ticket, signed it and was released, he can call the courts number on the ticket any weekday and they should tell him the exact amount of the penalty.

What I cant understand is he is driving (or thinking of buying?) a MBZ in the $80,000 range, but cannot pay a speeding ticket? :confused: :confused:

Just hope he learns a lesson from this, and slows down. 50 is a great age to become mature.:D

·
Registered
753 Posts
Many years ago I was headed south out of Memphis on the interstate in my 'vette -- going like h*ll. The radar detector went off and I see a Tennessee state patrol car throwing mud all over as he plows thru the median and heads my way. I pull over. This GIANT officer asks for my license and reg. My 'vette is still idling. This model ('85)had both digital and analog speedometer readout on the blackout instrument panel. The analog speedometer (visible when the engine was running) only went to 85 -- the digital went much higher. The officer asks if I know how fast I was going --- "No" says I. Well, this guy sticks his head (smokey bear hat and all) partially into the driver's window and taps on my speedo with his gold Cross pen and says "Why I see why you don't know how fast you-all were goin' -- Your speedometer won't read that fast." He grinned and I asked if maybe I could just get a warning. "No" says he with an even bigger grin "You-all are getting a ticket -- but I sure hope it don't get you down on Tennessee". He kept my Oregon driver's license - gave me a receipt to drive with until I paid the fine - and a ticket for 105 mph. Can't remember what the fine was. I had an attorney who did lots of work for me in Mobile call the judge in Tennessee and the judge agreed to drop the fine and sent back my license. I thought I got away with something until I got the cancellation notice on my auto insurance. Tennessee reported the violation to Oregon. Ahhhhhhh, Youth!!

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like the fine will be in the $700 range, He will probably face a suspension in PA. due to reciprocity. That fast gets you a departmental review and a buh\nch of classses. Pr4obably 6 to 9 month suspension. AND the rental car company is surcharging him $850.00,. ( Per him )
Then he can wait to her from his insurance carrier.

·
Registered
321 Posts
well now....

Looks like the fine will be in the $700 range, He will probably face a suspension in PA. due to reciprocity. That fast gets you a departmental review and a buh\nch of classses. Pr4obably 6 to 9 month suspension. AND the rental car company is surcharging him $850.00,. ( Per him )
Then he can wait to her from his insurance carrier.
It's all on the wheel....it all comes around. Real trick is not being under the wheel when it comes around. Looks like he gonna get squished a bit.

Still better then being wrapped around a telephone pole. Maybe this will slow him down some.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.