Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, koo-doos to Mike and John for all their hard work. I'll consider the new board and new server an early Christmas present...

found a few more photos worthy of sharing. when I was a pup I raised and kept chickens. we had one small chicken coop for them to roost and I was in charge of feed, water, cleaning... I bought my day old chicks in the spring and waited for the roosters to grow into frying pan sized morsels. My grandmother would come over with her axe and help me prep a half dozen or so for the freezer. She would hold the bird by the hind legs and step on its head on a chopping block, then down came the axe and the flopping would start... My grandmother was no one to be trifled with...

when the chicks grew up and started laying eggs, I would gather and store them and sell them for a quarter a dozen to the folks who lived in "Green Valley". I would usually take them to church and put them in their cars on Sunday morning. I got eggs thru the winter - then grandma would come over to help butcher the "stewing hens" before the next batch of chicks arrived... a kid on the farm knows first hand about the cycle of life...

This year, I bought 100 "mixed" chicks. The hatchery sent me their odds and ends at a reduced rate - I didn't know what I had until they grew up. Our mail-woman, Georgie, would call from the post office (20 miles away) and ask that we meet her at the mail box (5 miles away) when she was on her route. A cardboard box with 100 peeping meemees would be handed over and home we would go. The chicks in this photo look to be a few days old... I had a brooder lamp in an old hog barn - they lived in an old steel water tank for their first few days... Just guessing, I'm 11 or 12 in this photo - love the glasses and button down shirt...

next photo - well let's see... I have a 'set' of cousins who live in San Diego. 4 healthy boys in that family, basically the same age as my cousin Boo and I. Boo lived a mile away and we were more like brothers than cousins. the California cousins would come and visit during the summer and my mom and my aunt would host them while they were in South Dakota.

My mom really couldn't stand boys in the house, especially in the summer time. "Go outside and play in the traffic" was a pretty common phrase coming from her lips... we averaged one car per day on the road thru our place...

this day, she must have noticed the apples on the pie apple tree were ripe and put us to work. I'm on the left, CA cousin on the right, Boo is on the mini-bike, he must have just shown up or he would have been on a ladder helping... I'm going to get a couple reprints of this photo and send them to the cousins...

last photo of the day - this is my sister... what struck me was how drop dead simple our toys were. she's at the kitchen table making designs with little colored wood chips. I can remember that little box of toys very vividly. we could make hours pass creating odd shapes and designs. it really struck a nerve when I was listening to one of the morning shows talk about "old toys" vs "new toys"... are adults jealous of the toys kids get these days. most adults are NOT... we were the pre-PONG generation for sure. I'm not sure we aren't better for the experience...

that's all... Thanks again to Mike and John for their hard work in keeping my 'home' on the net the BEST...

-niv

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just checking...

does this board have a back-to-top feature when a thread is replied to?

sorry to clutter the board, to keep it sorta on topic, here is yesterday's varmint kill - 53' 8" from my bedroom window. just because my garden is dormant now does NOT mean my backyard is available as a bunny hotel...

he's in the crock pot now - do rabbits have 'backstraps' similar to deer? I butchered him expecting only front and rear quarters, but discovered some pretty tasty looking slabs in the loin area...

I've been here since '96 / '97 - sure feels funny to become a "junior" member over night. small price to pay for a great upgrade...

-niv

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Let's see

Let's see if this bumps your post, Joe.

BTW, I like your history lessons. How could we possibly have turned into productive members of society without PCs, Xboxes, and Play Stations?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Joe,
You bet them "loins" are good eatin'....mmmm good:)
When I lived in Colorado, we would eat rabbit instead of chicken and Mule Deer venison instead of beef.
Bob

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the pictures joe

you may be right about the simpler toys being better although I used to have an Etch-A-Sketch and to this day I can't draw worth a darn. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts