Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of being chastised for being far off topic, thought I'd ask if anyone here has much experience with German Shepheard dogs. My last dog, a recued mutt, died about three years ago and I think that I'm ready to get another. There is a local breeder who does have the reputation for having very good shepheards and will be having a litter in Feb. While it seems silly to spend $500. on a dog, they do last along time. It would be mostly a hiking buddy but it would make me feel that my wife might be alittle safer when I'm away. I've never had a shepheard before, any big negatives? Thanks

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Same as all larger dogs

Make sure the hips are guaranteed and X-rayed before or at the time of purchase. There are probably some specific "gotchas" to watch out for that others will tell you about. Check the pedigree too, inbreeding is a problem with many many AKC dogs.

The hip deal is mostly due to bigger fatter puppies these days and is common with most large dogs although some breeds have more problems than others.

Lil' yellow dogs don't have hip problems and are the baddest dogs on four legs.

Hu

At the risk of being chastised for being far off topic, thought I'd ask if anyone here has much experience with German Shepheard dogs. My last dog, a recued mutt, died about three years ago and I think that I'm ready to get another. There is a local breeder who does have the reputation for having very good shepheards and will be having a litter in Feb. While it seems silly to spend $500. on a dog, they do last along time. It would be mostly a hiking buddy but it would make me feel that my wife might be alittle safer when I'm away. I've never had a shepheard before, any big negatives? Thanks

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Here's our shepherd

Ruger, at 15 months. Handsome, intelligent, and has us well trained. He is a "needy" boy. Demands lots of attention but at 80 lbs isn't exactly the lap dog he'd like to be.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I spent the first 45 years of my life with a German Shephard as a near-constant companion. They are terrific dogs. One of mine would hunt pheasants, and also retrieved. That particular female was 1/4 wolf and 3/4 shephard. I never had a bad one, but some were more aggressive than others. All were very protective of my home and family. Most were really good dogs to take hunting.......would lie down and be still when needed, and easily trained. I have birddogs now, and don't really want another large dog, but I still miss having a shephard.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Negatives = Many get hip problems, Positives = Very loyal,Very smart,very obedient when trained properly, would make a good dog to keep wife company and protected,

·
Registered
182 Posts
What ever you do make sure the parents are OFA certified. That's hip are in good shape. As with most big dogs hip joints are a problem. Shepheards are notorious for bad hips. We saved a few $ on the one we have now and are we regretting it. Her hips went out after 10 months and my wife was too in love with her to return her. Now we have to be careful what she does at 3 years old. Also make sure the pup is not shy in any way.
________
weed

·
Registered
8 Posts
German Sheppards

I'm on my third sheppard. He's a year and a half old, and still a puppy. Weighs 100. Show promise sometimes of being a genious, sometimes a dumb-butt.
The first one was a long time ago. My granddaughter was about three and she and that dog were inseparable, where one was, there was the other. When he was about 10 he started getting dysplasia. The second was my wife's dog, and smart as a whip. He could find anybody on command and would do it all day if he could get someone to hide from him. I think he was about 8 when he got dysplasia. When you lose one, it's very hard, just like losing a kid, but during their lifetime, there is so much love that it's worth it.
Clyde

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Alternative....

When I was young my mom had 2 German Shepards, both had to be put down for back and hip problems.

I've had quite a few different dogs in my lifetime ranging from rat terrriers, Beagles, Coon hounds, Dachsunds, etc, but still my favorite dogs are Greyhounds or whippets. Neither bark hardly at all, very gentle, easy going, and I've never seen a mean one. Great hunting dogs too. Just my experience.

There are quite a few places that you can get retired racing greyhounds if you search the net for them too so that you don't have to go through the "Puppy Problems". I have 4 friends that have gone this route and are 100% satisfied greyhound owners. Much easier than going through the house training, chewing, etc of puppy raising. Good luck and let us know how it goes. WD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Spend what it takes to get a good dog. In the end, it will cost less than destroyed property and vet bills. I am not experienced with shepherds. My wife and I went shopping for the perfect dog and I think we found him. Half Standard Poodle (I was hesitant at first), half Lab; he hunts and fetches all day. He is very aloof and I know by his whine when there is anyone near our house. He is very friendly and doesn't shed at all. Only thing Poodle about him is part of his coat and his brain. He's a lot smarter than my last lab.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
lab's

I've got a pet rock that is smarter than most lab's! Still one of my favorite dogs and some of them are idiot savants, super smart in one area while still being dumb as a box of rocks in most. Before too many folks gang up to lynch me, I have seen a few smart lab's too.

Generally healthy, great people dogs, easily trained . . . usually! I gave away a lab pup that is smarter and stronger willed than anyone else where she lives. She had the family trained before she was three months old! :D :D :D

Hu

Spend what it takes to get a good dog. In the end, it will cost less than destroyed property and vet bills. I am not experienced with shepherds. My wife and I went shopping for the perfect dog and I think we found him. Half Standard Poodle (I was hesitant at first), half Lab; he hunts and fetches all day. He is very aloof and I know by his whine when there is anyone near our house. He is very friendly and doesn't shed at all. Only thing Poodle about him is part of his coat and his brain. He's a lot smarter than my last lab.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I would recommend getting one from a working blood line as opposed to a show blood line. The working dogs are breed more more trainablity and sound structure. Most of the working blood lines are from recent German imports.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had a SHeperad/Husky mix as a K-9 for several years super smart dog very loyal.
I have two Jack Russels now and they are a blast to live with I'm not a fan of smaller dogs but these guys are awsome.
I have tow big dogs outside , Catahula/Pitbull mix , they are very good dogs don't look or act to "pitbullish" so most folks arn't freaked out about them. These two are "quick catch" dogs for hog hunting

A strait Catahula (maynot be spelled right) are great dogs , very smart strong willed and very family protective. They are also great tracking dogs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One thing to do before you decide is to check with your home-owner's insurance agent about which dogs are going to bump your insurance. Some companies now refuse to insure homes with certain breeds. Seems I recall the German Shephard was mentioned among them.

Personally, I seen no need for any dogs that aren't hunting dogs. With the explicit exception of Great Danes. JMO, Dutch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts