Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ha Ha!

They kept a few cows on the fish farm that my Son bought and that netting on the hay bales was scattered everywhere. I spent a lot of time cutting it off of my bush hog blades.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LM, there's a ranch in South Dakota where several of us have enjoyed PD Safaris. The rancher raises cattle and works up hay to get 'em through the winter. We arrived in late May one year and he was having a wildlife problem of the non-PD sort. It seems he used netting for his big round bales and the wild turkeys on his place figured out they could rip open the netting with their spurs and snap up the bugs inside. He told us it was open season on turkeys if we wanted to thin 'em out a little.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I also saw where the same rancher put the wrapped rolls into the Grinder and ground ALL of it up for the cows. I couldn't believe it and went down and looked at the grinder. It was Full of plastic mesh around all the rollers.
If you grind it up fine enough they apparently pass it on through. A plastic garbage bag can kill a cow because it gets hung up in the plumbing.
I pick up a lot of Walmart type bags thrown from cars on the highway out of my fields every winter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lol those turkeys must be starving to tear the mesh off of round bales. We have our share of the blasted things around here as well. Fair amount of various rolled up fodder, never heard of a turkey problem.
Like others here dunno what is worse, nylon string or the netting. Both are a major pita.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts