Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bougjut a Hollywood pres sight unseen with the caveat that it was "stiff". that is hardly the description. It is not rusted but takes all of my substantial weight to move the handle through its range. My guess is the grease has oxidized and is the culprit. It looks like some pretty straightforward assembly of pins and toggles held by c-clips. I have sloped it down with Kriol with marginal results. it needs to come apart for a scrubbing. If anyone has taken one part (and got it back together) I would appreciate any advice or observations.

Thanx

T.D.C.

( Jr. Mbr.) :cool:

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Press cleaning...

I cleaned up a RCBS Rockchucker, was pretty stiff, I got the ram out, but other joints wouldn't come apart as easily, I used WD 40 to soak it down, and it cleaned up pretty good. I did use a little hexane to dry things off before relubing, but not everywhere. WD 40 is good for some things. You could get some vintner and painter's solvent, which is usually xylene, and use it, it'll cut most greases. Not too toxic, but is flammable. Then regrease/oil all the moving parts after they're clean.
-West

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just did an old RCBS a few days ago, but I haven't even seen a Hollywood so take this for what it's worth...

After pulling the c-clips, I used a hammer and punch to drive out the pins.
They were pretty tight in the frame, really no need for the c-clips I guess.
I'd make sure the pins ain't directional before really cranking on the hammer.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the press apart. Took heat gun and a healthy dose of wd-40. As suspected it was dried grease. will take a litle fine emoru cloth or chocus cloth to clean it up. regrease and assemble.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The large, round, shank of the Hollywood ( I am assuming you have a Standard Model) creates quite a bit of friction. Remove the sliding band and clean, then lube with a good oil. It should amaze you with its smoothness.

Ken

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I did one just like that, the Hollywood you mentioned, about 2 years ago, it was almost impossible to get it to move. Took it completely apart and cleaned it thoroughly, then polished all bearing surfaces with some 600 grit followed by some Flitz, really got it nice and shiney. Worked perfectly. Amazing to me was the lack of slop in the mechanism, these things were built to very close tolerances indeed. Sold it on Ebay for an astounding sum!!:D

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some engine assembly lube for changing camshafts. It is very tenacous. Any opinions on using that for lube??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts