Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a short discussion with a co-worker today about owning guns in Australia. Both of us are gun owners, so it wasn't a right/wrong debate, but we both acknowledged that we really don't know the inns and outs of gun ownership in Australia.

Rather than search the internet, I offered to ask here on the forum, knowing that Kevin - you are from Australia.

So, curious if you can summarize for me what the rules of gun ownership are in Australia?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We can own guns in Australia just some of the states have different rules on who can own what.

I 'll try and make it reasonably short but anyway here we go.
In my state of New South Wales we can own:

Shotguns: From 410 up to 12g in break open actions only on a Category A/B license.
Pump action and semi auto shotguns are on a Category C license which means you must be either a farmer or using the shotgun for feral animal control exclusively.

Rifles: From .177 up to the big bangers in .50cal on Cat A&B License.
We can have pump action & bolt action rifles
Semi auto is the same as for the shotguns and we can't have fully auto rifles unless you've got a Cat D license and that's almost impossible to get.

Blackpowder rifles are allowed on Cat A/B and Cannons(BP) is also allowed.

Handguns: These are allowed on a pistol license that is hard to get in the fact that here in NSW you apply for your License and then you must be a member of a pistol club and you have to attend 6 shoots a month only on a .22 pistol while your on a probationary license.
After this time you can own anything up to .50 cal (I think) but your not allowed to hunt with a handgun.

Now another thing that is mandatory is that when you apply for your gun license for the 1st time you must do a gun course by an approved gun license organisation and when you pass that you then send in your application to the Police Firearms Branch who check you out and then providing your clean a month later they send out your license where upon then you can apply for a Permit to Acquire a gun form and go buy a gun.

You most also be a member of an Approved Hunting Organisation like a gun/hunting club or have a letter from a farmer to say that you hunt there for the removal of feral pest animals.
This takes around 28 days to come back and then after that it's just a matter of how fast you send your next PTA's in and how fast they can process your form/s at $30 a pop.

Now most of the other states are very close to these rules but for some reason Western Australia has some very draconian laws that are just weird.

This is the Firearms branch rules for NSW,

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/permit_to_acquire_a_firearm

Victoria,
https://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34098

Western Australia

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Ourservices/PoliceLicensingServices/Firearms/tabid/1802/Default.aspx

Queensland,

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/

South Australia,

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-and-events/firearms-and-weapons.

Northern Territory

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Police/Firearms-Weapons/Firearms-licences-permits-forms.aspx.

You Yanks just don't realise how lucky you are to be able to own some of the toys that you do where as here we're always under constant scrutiny as to why do you need this or that gun etc and any drive by shootings/murders is automatically blamed on we legal gun owners and not on the fact that a lot of these murders etc are committed by crims who have gotten hold of guns illegally but the media and anti's never let the truth stand in the way of mass hysteria reporting.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kevin... I appreciate the time to lay it out for me. Man, I could not imagine having to deal with the level of scrutiny and rules/regulations you guys have to live with.

Mike

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Beyond my comprehension too.

A 20 something gal at the veterinarian's office abt 14 yrs ago mentioned that when her Marine husband was discharged, they were planning on moving "home" for her, OZ. I mentioned then that the gun laws may not be quite what her hubby would consider reasonable. She told me that her Daddy was a sheriff or some type of LEO and that it wouldn't be a problem anyway, as OZ wouldn't "be that way". I thought "Uh huh....."

I think it was within a couple of years when the big turn-in occurred and the rest is history.

Yes, I too, have a hard time getting my head around what you blokes have to endure just to pop a few caps. Criminal is the first polite word that comes to mind. :cool:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thanks Kevin... I appreciate the time to lay it out for me. Man, I could not imagine having to deal with the level of scrutiny and rules/regulations you guys have to live with.

Mike
Mate I'll tell you now that if you blokes don't stand on your hind legs and tell the idiots who think they run the country to go and bash one up themselves you'll end up worse than what we are.

We have this shit because unlike you blokes we started out as a penal colony 200 years ago and we haven't had any civil wars etc to dispute things BUT we have our Shooters and Fishers Party that is fighting hard for us.
They've had some victories and losses but they're doing well.

We're a very laid back country but when it comes to a fight we'll never back down especially when it's something that is unfair and we stand by our mates because it's the Aussie way.

The current gun laws in this country are a load of dog shit to put it plainly and they're the product of a bunch of retards who are scared of the general armed population who will upset their snivelling plans of total control of the population by stealth and lies.

Bit extreme to say but the media in conjunction with the jelly spined politicians are keen to see all guns banned but hopefully we will turn these mongrels out for somebody who has the balls to stand up for what's right.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts

Mike
Be glad you don't live in Illinios, Mike! Course, it isn't as Draconian as Australia's laws, at lest far as long guns go. But! The CCW is!

Here in the People's Republic of Illinois -

Firearms Owner IDentification card, to be periodically renewed after a background check. The "FOID" card is required to possesses ANY guns, and can be revoked and your guns confiscated for a host of BS reasons.

CCW training class, 16 hours with a written and proficiency test at a cost (which is NOT controlled) up to $350 per person

CCW application fee - to do a redundant background check (remember the FOID card fee?) and if after a 30 review you might get your permit after 90-120 days later. Oh, and the CCW permit is good for 3 years. Then guess what? Yep, a "refresher course" at your own expense, plus another $fee for the permit, and BTW, don't let the FOID card lapse...

FOID card: $10 every used to be 5 years, but I believe it is 10 now?
CCW training as much as $350+ (and refresher course every 3 years @ $??)
CCW initial permit application "processing" $150​

Total: about $510 plus periodic renewal classes and fees, not to mention up to 120 days to receive the permit. Yeah, I'd say the State is dragging their feet (and bilking the citizens to exercise their right to Keep and Bear Arms, wouldn't you say???:mad:)

In contrast, it can be as little as 575 in some states to take the class AND get the permit.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
:confused: What type of license did that crazy Muslim have??

As far as we know he didn't have a license at all and the media were pushing questions about this asking if he was a licensed owner so that they could push their agenda of evil guns in people's hands.

When the Police finally busted in 1 media knowledge box actually asked the question "Are they using LIVE ammo?"

The idiots do live amongst us.

I should add to that we gun owners in NSW and most other states are also subject to gun safe checks by the Police to make sure that our guns are secured in a proper way.
The Police that do these checks are pissed off because they know that for the most we gun owners are fairly responsible with the security of our guns but they have to do these checks to please the head Police honcho who is a gun hater.

This POS was responsible for sending letters to those Aussie family's who son's/husbands were killed in Afghanistan serving with our Army.
He was also up on attempted murder charges, several rape charges and a host of other things but due to some very screwed up bail laws here in NSW that was brought in by the last Premier who "resigned" after conveniently "forgetting" about a $3000 gift of a bottle of wine as appreciation for favours done.

Consequently this POS self called IMAM walked free.:mad:

After the siege the new Premier has supposedly enacted to get these bail laws deleted.
Here in Australia we've been very lucky that things like this are very rare but what it has done is once again bought in discussions about CCW and would things have been a lot different if somebody was CCW.

Of course the anti gun no idea dipshits are whining that if all guns were removed from people's hands none of this would've happened but of course forgetting that crims and idiots will get their hands on guns no matter what.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When the Police finally busted in 1 media knowledge box actually asked the question "Are they using LIVE ammo?"

The idiots do live amongst us.
They live amongst us too Kevin...

"The “Ruger 10/22″ earned its name from its ability to kill twenty-two people for every ten shots fired"
Andrea Markley on Twitter

https://twitter.com/andreajmarkley/status/532623420287385601

I hear ya Paul about some of the states and CCW. Illinois is definitely not on my top 49 places to live in the US of A.

Mike

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just a bit of a upgrade on this.
The media and associated idiots are now starting to push for more gun controls by stealth with questions like "Do you think we need tougher gun laws?" bullshit.

Most people are asking the more important question of how did this idiot get an illegal gun and more importantly why was he walking the streets after he was charged with attempted murder of his former wife and a heap of charges for rape and other things.

He was also wanted back in Pakistan for other dirty deeds but escaped to Australia and was granted asylum even though certain authorities knew what he'd done back in Pakistan.
Australia has no ties with Pakistan in regards for returning idiots like this back to their original country for justice in their homeland.

Now since then it's been released that apparently this POS was actually going to try and get into a TV station (Ch.7)across the road and take hostages live on tv but because security had been recently upgraded he panicked and went across the road to the cafe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts