Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the forum, I live on a farm south of Butler. We have quite a few groundhogs out here. My neighbor ordered a Cooper Arms Model 54 .22-250 about seven months ago and got her a couple weeks ago. He let it go for cheaper than they're selling currently. (He's a good family friend)

I'll probably keep this thread updated and dump some pics every so often. I've been very impressed with the wound profile the .22-250 delivers.

This was the first chuck I got. He was in the pasture below the house. Was roughly 80-100 yards. Hornady 50gr VMax Superformance

The second chuck I got was a lot closer, probably around 40-50 yards.

I was 'hiding' behind those shrubs :D. I don't have a picture of him, forgot to nab one. However, when I inspected his body I noticed no entrance nor exit wound. The round, I suppose, went right through him unfortunately, although it appeared to still have done the job as a humane kill.

The third chuck I got this afternoon. I came down the hill and stumbled upon two of them. I pulled up on one and after squeezing the trigger and hearing 'click' realized the gun wasn't loaded. :eek: So chambering a round made too much noise and scared them into their holes. I sat around for 30 minutes and they popped out. Popped one of their young ones I think.

Once again Hornady 50gr VMax Superformance. Range was about 100-120 yards.

Very very very very satisfied with the .22-250 platform. Every shot I've taken has been on (though I suppose with the short ranges I've had that'd reflect on my marksmanship if I were missing :p)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well welcome to the forum! Nice to see your hogs, we seem to kinda like gore and stuff like that! Not sure what kinda camera your using but it seems like a good one. Some times i rate the pics. on various factor like color, lighting, gut pile, and story line. Most ratings are in the 9.6-10 range. I keep track of points given on a paper napkin, so its all official and stuff! Hope to see more pics. and stories, thans for sharing!!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Good shootin & thanks for the pics

Pretty country there too. If a chuck hunter doesn't like a 22-250 or a 220 Swift and the way each handles both grown and pup groundhogs.... I dunno what to tell him.

OBTW, it isn't uncommon for a Vmax out of that 250 or a Swift to leave NO evidence of a hit without some very serious searching.... ie no exit wound. Lets just say... the surprise is inside. :D :D :D

I got a yote with the swift a couple years back and found no exit wound. The fellow that skinned it out for me cussed me the whole time he was skinning it. It was a smelly mess when that hide came off. :eek::eek:

Thanks again and keep em coming. WD

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome! Yeah, the 22-250 does a number on the ghogs! Look forward to your future posts. By the way, graduated from Thiel many moons ago. Had lots of fraternity bros from the Pittsburgh area.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
That is in my backyard so to speak. And, the 22-250 white box Winchester does very well in my Savage Mocel 12 FV. The last broadsice shoulder hit left no exit wound. He just slumped down and was jello inside.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well welcome to the forum! Nice to see your hogs, we seem to kinda like gore and stuff like that! Not sure what kinda camera your using but it seems like a good one. Some times i rate the pics. on various factor like color, lighting, gut pile, and story line. Most ratings are in the 9.6-10 range. I keep track of points given on a paper napkin, so its all official and stuff! Hope to see more pics. and stories, thans for sharing!!
It's my pleasure! Thanks for the welcome! I'll have more pictures as they come :) The photos are being taken with an iPhone 4S 8mp Camera (which for a phone does take good pictures I think).

Pretty country there too. If a chuck hunter doesn't like a 22-250 or a 220 Swift and the way each handles both grown and pup groundhogs.... I dunno what to tell him.

OBTW, it isn't uncommon for a Vmax out of that 250 or a Swift to leave NO evidence of a hit without some very serious searching.... ie no exit wound. Lets just say... the surprise is inside.

I got a yote with the swift a couple years back and found no exit wound. The fellow that skinned it out for me cussed me the whole time he was skinning it. It was a smelly mess when that hide came off. :eek::eek:

Thanks again and keep em coming. WD
Thanks for the heads up, it was quite a marvel to me at the time. Especially seeing how the first hog I hit responded. That sounds awful for the guy that did your tanning/skinning! I figured that the surprise was indeed inside. I love being home for the summer because it definitely is beautiful out there.

Welcome! Yeah, the 22-250 does a number on the ghogs! Look forward to your future posts. By the way, graduated from Thiel many moons ago. Had lots of fraternity bros from the Pittsburgh area.
Thanks! I'm currently a student of physics at IUP (not so renowned for their physics I know :rolleyes: :p).

That is in my backyard so to speak. And, the 22-250 white box Winchester does very well in my Savage Mocel 12 FV. The last broadsice shoulder hit left no exit wound. He just slumped down and was jello inside.
That's definitely what I'm thinking happened with my second hog.

What is going on here
The destruction of vermin, no doubt!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just got back in. Been in and out for several hours today. Earlier I saw nothing, this afternoon I saw two of them. As I was heading to my usual spot (the place I've been getting these chucks at) I saw the dairy farm that farms our land was spraying the field so I just did a stroll along the edge of the property. Saw a million holes, a lot of them appear to be used (the light tan soil that comes when it's really dry) so I have a lot of future prospects.

The farmer was actually wrapping up as I came back to where I started and was supportive of what I was doing, go figure huh? :D :cool:

I sat down in my lawn chair and, probably not five minutes after, one popped out. The shot was approximately 80-90 yards, uphill (I sit down in a little plateau below the field/hill they live on) Was very confident when pulling the trigger it would hit.

Once again, using .22-250 Hornady VMax Superformance @ 80-90 yards.

Another perspective when I came back with the quad to clean him up.

Thanks for following! I intend to head back out around 6 and see if I can get the evening crowd.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Man you've got the spot

& the right rifle & bullet combo to be a real force with the chucks around there. With that combination you may never know what the term "crawl offs" means.

So while you're sitting in your lawn chair waiting on chucks.... do you ever think about getting a 17 centerfire cooper, topped with a Leupold scope and all that? Or even better... how bout one of those beautiful Ruger VT's?

OBTW.... welcome to the board. With these kinda pics and reports you're our kind of fella. WD

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
& the right rifle & bullet combo to be a real force with the chucks around there. With that combination you may never know what the term "crawl offs" means.

So while you're sitting in your lawn chair waiting on chucks.... do you ever think about getting a 17 centerfire cooper, topped with a Leupold scope and all that? Or even better... how bout one of those beautiful Ruger VT's?

OBTW.... welcome to the board. With these kinda pics and reports you're our kind of fella. WD
Curious, do you think a Cooper .17 with a Leupold is better than a Cooper .22-250 with a Leupold (that's my setup) :p I have access to two farms, one 80 acres and another 250 acres. They both offer some decent shots if you can see the hog, but my tendency is usually to stalk the holes and not really overlook the entire field (thus these shots haven't been over 200 yards - yet atleast).

Came back in from evening hunt, saw one at point-blank, but by the time I got my scope lids open he ducked down into his hole. :( Set up camp in the usual spot and didn't see anything from there on. Had some nasty sun in the eyes too, that's gonna be something I'm gonna either have to change by coming out first thing in the morning or investing in a sun shade for the scope.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dry, I am not a ground hog shooter, lol since we don't have them out here. We have rock chucks, think they are about the same, and Belding ground squirrels. the squirrels look like Pdogs but only half the size. I shoot 22-250, 223, 204 and 17rem. Love the 22-250 but it costs more to shoot, more powder. The 223 and 204 are great and I also really like the 17. Should you buy a 17? Of course you should. Why? Because you don't have one lol. I have 4 centerfires that I use varmint hunting and plan on buying some more lol. You can never own to many rifles, Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dry, I am not a ground hog shooter, lol since we don't have them out here. We have rock chucks, think they are about the same, and Belding ground squirrels. the squirrels look like Pdogs but only half the size. I shoot 22-250, 223, 204 and 17rem. Love the 22-250 but it costs more to shoot, more powder. The 223 and 204 are great and I also really like the 17. Should you buy a 17? Of course you should. Why? Because you don't have one lol. I have 4 centerfires that I use varmint hunting and plan on buying some more lol. You can never own to many rifles, Ed
Awesome! I'll definitely look into it then. And very true about never owning enough rifles haha. I went from an AR15 to the .22-250. Definitely prefer the 250, a lot of that has to deal with weight and trigger pull weight though. It definitely did its job for the hogs when I could get an accurate shot. I'll take a good look at the .17 cal for sure.

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
Sooooo many choices, so little time & $

For your type of hunting, any of the "sub calibers" will work very well. I mean as far as noise (some mention that) less powder burned (case efficiency). Any and all are gooood medicine for your "patients". Heck, my first and only, for years, gh gun was a 243. Had a bud hit one going away around 220 yds, slightly uphill - a Texas heart shot. He said he saw blood through that Very expensive Tasco 3-9 (chuckle). He was the type to get a bit carried away verbally so didn't think much about it. Well, when we arrived for the post mortem, there were entrails, body parts and blood galore allll over the knoll. It was absolutely rude what that 6 mil did to him/her.

Like has been said, never can have enuff gunz. I'm not a big small cal fan but the idea of a 20 K Hornet has piqued my curiosity. As would a 20 PPC AI and one of those Vartargs in .20 and on and on and on. Nuttin' at all wrong with a 22-250 - it will do you proud out to 500 EZ. Got one or two myself and the Savage loves the Starke bullets with Varget. Under an inch at 200 when I'm up to it on wind reading.

OK, keep us updated as the summer rolls on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Having just recently heard of the PPC, that style sounds pretty interesting.

I went out for a late morning hunt and saw two of them. The first one I saw was poking his head out of the hole, it was around 120-150 yards away and I wanted to test my luck. So I pulled the trigger on him, but immediately saw a puff of dirt beneath his head. :( When I went up to the hole to inspect where it hit I noticed the mound protruded a good bit right in front of his head, he had a relatively safe hiding spot from my angle. :(

I also think nerves got the better of me when I was lining up my shot. I was feeling pretty shaky when pulling the trigger (for whatever reason). I even had to set the rifle back down a couple seconds just to get collected.

After that I hung around for an hour and it was dead silent so I packed up and did a stroll along the property edge. We have/had gas miners operating right next door the past couple months and they finally cleared out (the drilling operation at least) so I went over to check out what I could see and I was LITERALLY startled by the biggest groundhog I've ever seen in my life.

I'm estimating that damn thing was a solid 30lbs. I was freaked at the shot cause in the background are houses, although there is a significant backdrop before them, I still wanted to change my angle so they weren't behind my bullet. So doing that startled him off into a little patch of high grass which I flushed him out of where he then ran along a black tube filled with hay used as a flood wall. Was going to pop him off that, but really didn't want to destroy any of the miner's stuff. He then ran into the cornfield where I lost him in the rows.

I'm gonna be stalking that damn thing until I get him for sure. I'll definitely have pictures too. I'm straight up flabbergasted by how big that hog was. Must've been eating the miners' garbage.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sounds like a super hog!!! We should name him before its too late and there's only pieces of him left?
How about Big Hoss?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ive been shooting a 6ppc XP100 pistol i'm having a blast shooting 65 vmaxs shes deadly within 300 yards . Went out this morning got a late start about 8 ish decided to carry the big gun Kelby built 6.5 x 284 .I got a new chunk of land big open fields didnt see a thing . Went to another farm set partner up on 2 he shoots the 22 Hornet he killed both 100 yards max then setup by my house again 100 or less he killed another .He packed up and drove back to Richmond for a wedding this afternoon . I'm in the nice cool AC still a little warm in central VA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a super hog!!! We should name him before its too late and there's only pieces of him left?
How about Big Hoss?
He is! And Big Hoss is completely appropriate! I definitely wasn't kidding when I say he scared me. I thought it was a wild dog or something.

Ive been shooting a 6ppc XP100 pistol i'm having a blast shooting 65 vmaxs shes deadly within 300 yards . Went out this morning got a late start about 8 ish decided to carry the big gun Kelby built 6.5 x 284 .I got a new chunk of land big open fields didnt see a thing . Went to another farm set partner up on 2 he shoots the 22 Hornet he killed both 100 yards max then setup by my house again 100 or less he killed another .He packed up and drove back to Richmond for a wedding this afternoon . I'm in the nice cool AC still a little warm in central VA.
Do you have a picture of your pistol, I'd be interested to see it! Sounds like you guys had a good time, I'm tempted to go back out now and see if I can find anything but I gotta go to my girlfriend's family's place cause they're having a party so I don't want to get all sweaty. :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ok here the deal ,I just converted it from a center grip stock to this rear grip , installed a jewel trigger while doing this . Its been trued , cleaned up and at this present time it's sporting a .262 neck Shilen 6PPC set up for the 68ers. I've got a brand new MCmillan rear grip BR stock in the mail as we speak and I have on order a new Lilja rifle barrel and i'm strongly thinking 6 x 47 Lapua with about an 18 inch barrel or 6 Dasher . I have had a blast shooting this gun . Easy to carry compact what isnt to like very mild recoil with the ppc.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Well

Curious, do you think a Cooper .17 with a Leupold is better than a Cooper .22-250 with a Leupold (that's my setup) :p .
Honestly, you're set up just fine.... but a fella could ALWAYS use another one. And if you're doing much or any hunting with houses nearby.... one of the 17's (Remington, Fireball, Mach IV, or other) is a NICE addition, quiet, flat shooting too.... very similar to your '250 out to say 250-300yds. ;) WD

1 - 20 of 35 Posts