Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glen would you mind sharing some of your better loads in your CZ 204 with me? I know there is a lot of data now available, but I really would like to start with a known load and go from there.
I just picked up a 527 American in 204 and thus far have fired a few rounds of factory stuff, Hornadays- both 32 and 40 gr. Both were Ok, but not to the really acceptable level. I have since relieved the stock where it was touching the barrel and when the weather gets better here want to try things again. Any help you might give will be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The best load so far in my little CZ has been one recommended by Sierra,
32 BlitzKing-27.3 Benchmark- Fed. 205M primer, in Hornady cases. It also shoots tolerably well with 32 VM-27.5 H-322- Fed. 205M primers and Winchester cases. It hasn't shown a liking for the 39s or 40s to speak of, but two loads will work for called-in stuff, up close.
39 Sierra-27.5 H-4895-Fed. 205M primers in Winchester cases.
39 Sierra-27.5 Varget- 205M primers in Winchester cases
I haven't been able to get satisfactory performance in either rifle (I have a Savage, too) with a 40 gr. bullet, either Hornady or Nosler. This is no doubt something peculiar to my rifles, but the 40s have been problematic for a LOT of folks. An awful lot of rifles simply aren't shooting 40s well, perhaps their real twist rate is something like 1-12.25" or whatever. 1-12" is right on the edge of stability for the longer bullets, and some rifles just won't shoot 'em. I haven't tried any 45 Hornady's yet, except in the factory load, the CZ will shoot them into 1.25" or so, plenty good enough for a called-in coyote, but poor for a prairie dog. Sorry to be so long-winded....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.