Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glenn or anyone else know what happened to the 204 Ruger forum? One day it was there, the next day some cheesey imitator site has sprung up using the same Internet address of www.rugerhunting.com/204

I'm thinking the domain name expired, but anyone got a clue? It was an excellent forum/site dedicated soley to the 204 Ruger, and was very popular. The "replacement" site is totally worthless FWIW.

TIA - Rick

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interesting indeed!

I thought to myself "Nah, he must be having a computer problem or something" but it seems to be toast! That is bad news, I enjoyed rooting thru that one. Ummm, my guess is that it possibly was highjacked by a hacker, or as you said the domain name expired. It is not that old so I'm not sure. If you find anything out let us know, I'll do the same.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yep, when I investigated a little further, I got the message that the domain name had expired. I guess that means somebody forgot to pay the rent?????

However, I wouldn't be a one bit surprised if some hacker causee the problem. That has happened to more than one Web site lately.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Possibly all of the above, it crapped out last year about this time, but Brian got it up and running again, and I presume he'll do so, again. I've emailed him, so has Glen Shaffer, but so far, we haven't been able to contact him directly. Your guesses are as good as mine, at this time. Hopefully, we'll have it back up and running by Monday........

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad we caught up with you Glenn; I've been getting bombarded with emails from 204 forum guys going through withdrawls over the loss of the site. Seems it had quite a following. My wife however, seems glad of the fact.....wonder what's up with that? ("Oh, do you miss all your little forum buddies...?") What do wives know about such matters anyway?

Maybe Brian should talk to Mike and John about hijacking site resistance software....:) Thanks for responding, hope the site is up again soon.

Rick

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've been getting emails AND phone calls, I hadn't realized how popular it was until it went down! Brian has been notoriously hard to contact at times (elk hunts, and other things) so I'm hoping he checks in and finds out what the problem is, and fixes it. He's a good guy, but he has a lot on his plate.

Rick, if it gets to be a hassle answering all the emails, link them to this site. Hey, they need to be here anyway, this is STILL my homeplace, regardless of any other.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Glenn, but it's not a bother.....yet. I had no idea it was that popular either, but apparantly it certainly is. Brian/elk hunting? Doesn't he know he's supposed to just hang out and keep his site running? :D Elk hunting indeed! (Tag stew for me this year :cool: )

I started here too, back in the mid-90's. Been gone a while, but I see it's still as good (maybe better) than ever. Mike and John do a great job on this puppy.

Maybe if you call Brian on his cell, with luck he has it in his jacket pocket, and it will ring while he's on the mountain "at just the right time......"

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I wouldn't do that to a guy in a wheelchair, that's just not right. That was last fall, though. He's probably doing something with the kids, or whatever. I confess I've never talked to him, other than PMs and emails! I THINK he lives in SLC, but somewhere in Utah for sure. I guess I better try to find his number on this Internet thingy.....

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good show then; I'll alert the troops that a fix is in the works.

You DO know that I was kidding about the cell phone on the mountain thing, right? ;) I had no idea that the guy was disabled. If he elk hunts in a chair, my hat's off to him in a BIG way! THAT would really take some moxie.

Thanks for all your help, Glenn.

Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I found you guys!!!:p

Coming back to the .204 sight and finding someone else living at
that sight gave me flash backs of how I would come home from
grade school and find my folks had moved and left no clues on how I
could find them!!! :confused:

They never actually did that to me but I know they contemplated it!!!:D

My wife speculated that it must have been one of your wives got fed up
and just "pulled the plug" on the server!!!!:rolleyes:
I do hope that the 204 sight is restored however.

LilCal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all you guys. Glad I found you also. Sure hope Brian is able to get the site up again. My wife actually hopes so too. She has had enough of me already. There are not many boards that something is not posted about the site being down. Almost all is very positive.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glenn Asher or Brian.....any news on the 204 Site?

Phone calls and emails are coming in asking about the site, and when it will be back up in place of the worthless imitator that some hacker must have cobbled together in its place.

I've had emails and calls from every corner of the country about it, so it appears it's sorely missed. Everyone is hoping that all the previous posts will still be there when it comes back on line.

Any news to report? :)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sorry, Rick. No word out of Brian yet. The place is sorely missed, it seems, and not only by us! I wish I knew how to shake things up a bit, and get them moving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
204 Refugee looking for home

Hi guys its me Ryan from Hemet I took on the Moniker of Sureshot. I lost touch with Bullfrog and Craigyboy from Ireland I told Craigyboy if he would come over I would take him on a squirrel shoot and stop by Bend to meet up with Rick from Oregon and Bullfrog when the forum was Hijacked. Maybe the forum can be set up under a new domain name but for now I am concerned about getting in touch with Craigyboy and Bullfrog who haven't found there way over here yet.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I got this PM from my fellow moderator this PM

204 SITE ( From: Glen )
Great news Glenn!! Brian returned my call this afternoon!! Everybody there is fine. It wasn't family related in any way. The site is on an auto re-newal system. It took his money but didn't credit it. His e-mail is not working either. I had the same problem last week. Tomorrow AM he is gonna "Hand out some hell!...

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Excellent news!

Thanks Glenn and Glen for working to get the site back up; I know we're all looking forward to it. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.