Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw your thread inquiring about the availability of N-133 for your p. dog wars this year. I spoke to a major powder distributor this afternoon and N powders should be available shortly. The old distributor was caned by N and Hodgdon has the current rights in the USA.

Paul, you know lot to lot variations vary just a little on the n-133. In my Hart bbl that is 26" long, Min spec match chmber, IMI Brass, 7 1/2 primer, I am shooting the 50g Ballistic tip at 3650 and never full length size a case with 26.5g of n-133.

In that same bbl, I am shooting N-135 with the Nosler 55's at 3550 into tiny bug holes. I can't for the life of me remember the load.

I do have to use a powder funnel with a drop tube with the very slightest amount of compression, but not enough to ever make the bullets "walk" out of the case due to a heavily compressed load.

You of course will have to work up a load for your rifle using your new lot of powder. One thing that I did notice is that the loads that I was shooting would pierce a Fed 205 and gives the very slightest cratering on a 7 1/2.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I saw your thread inquiring about the availability of N-133 for your p. dog wars this year. I spoke to a major powder distributor this afternoon and N powders should be available shortly. The old distributor was caned by N and Hodgdon has the current rights in the USA.

Paul, you know lot to lot variations vary just a little on the n-133. In my Hart bbl that is 26" long, Min spec match chmber, IMI Brass, 7 1/2 primer, I am shooting the 50g Ballistic tip at 3650 and never full length size a case with 26.5g of n-133.

In that same bbl, I am shooting N-135 with the Nosler 55's at 3550 into tiny bug holes. I can't for the life of me remember the load.

I do have to use a powder funnel with a drop tube with the very slightest amount of compression, but not enough to ever make the bullets "walk" out of the case due to a heavily compressed load.

You of course will have to work up a load for your rifle using your new lot of powder. One thing that I did notice is that the loads that I was shooting would pierce a Fed 205 and gives the very slightest cratering on a 7 1/2.
Good luck!
Good info and thanks! It occured to me that those quick stepping loads were in Remingtons (or at least some) which has a 12" twist instead of a 9". (I don't know it that would have much effect, but 26.2 gn N133 beats the hell outta my AR, AND the brass!) But, I'm intrigued by the N135/55s... Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

Thanks again for da info!

P.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know Paul, every gun is different.......

I was able to achieve these velocities with a minimum spec reamer with zero freebore, .0005 over bullet dia throat. I never full length size my brass, never.

If you want to get real interesting, the 223 AI made off the same type of specs will get you 3750+ with the 50g and 3650+ with the 55's out of a 26" bbl.

I'm talking tiny bug hole accuracy with these loads, also.

With the large chambers of an AR, I don't think that you could get anywhere near these velocities.

good luck!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Same results here

Keith and Ackman got me started on N133 and N135----with IMI cases---and I was amazed what the 223 would do with 50 and 55 gr bullets.

This made me wonder why I would even own a 22-250 if there was a dependable supply of IMI cases.

I also tried N135 with 50 gr bullets and it was good-----maybe even more forgiving at the upper charge levels.

A. Weldy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.