Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally rolled into the hollow about 10:00 AM this morning. Mikey (AKA KY Fisherman) and I left White River SD a little after 9:00 AM on Tuesday. We struggled through thunderstorms with driving rain, high winds hail across IA and MO and finally reached Mikey's Mom's house around 2:00 AM. After a 4 hour nap we unloaded his stuff from the trailer and I peddled on home. Tarcila and the dogs put on a good act about being happy to see me in spite of a desperate need for a shower. I spent most of the dat unloading my stuff and catching up on business orders. Right now I'm pretty much whipped.

There were ten campers including a few from this board. One, a police Captain from Baton Rouge, was more of a spectator, but he enjoyed the trip and made new friends. We broke in a youngster and his Dad to rodent eradication as well. My estimate is that the nine shooters including the kid took out in the neighborhood of 3000 dogs over the four days of shooting. Several of us are not as angry at the pasture poodles as in years past and we spent time visiting, eating, drinking and generally laying about. However, drive bys, walkabouts and the like were frequent.

We did have the required " weather event" with a violent thunderstorm with wind on Monday night that left much water in a couple of tents and nearly dismantled my "portable garage", but we all survived with new war stories to tell. It was a good trip and we all had a fine time.

Rick

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Thanks for the Report Rick

Glad y’all had fun and made it back OK. Looks like we have a new board member from the trip.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rick for the update. Was your group shooting on the same ranch as I was at in 2003? Thanks again. Mike
Mike,
IIRC you shot there after we left that year. I think it is/was the same place.

Rick

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick
Thanks turbo and i had a great time. He is hooked
Bobby
Happy to have had a part in corrupting you both. It was all good.

Rick

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I didn't take a ton of photos, but do have some on my phone that I'll download and post as soon as I catch up on my sleep.

Greyfox has something of a dislike of slithery reptiles, so he left it to me to report that Grant Schrader killed the only prairie rattler on this trip. It was only about 3 feet long, but had a really interesting green tint to him. We claimed his skin, but there just wasn't enough meat for the snake hors d'oevres we ate in 2006.

The blow that Rick mentioned was absolutely the grandest lightning storm I've ever experienced, including one straight-line burst of wind that hit the open end of our "garage" and literally pulled the rebar pegs out of the hard-packed dirt. It was pretty intense for a couple of minutes, with three of us scrambling to find extra pegs, find a hammer, and hold that big tent down well enough for Rick to get in some extra anchors. He said there were bad winds later that night, but I apparently slept straight through those. Let's just say if Harbor Freight ever needs testimonials about how its portable garages hold up, we're just the guys to testify about that.

The shooting was good, the food was great, the tales were tall, and at least a couple of PD virgins were initiated. In sum, I think a good time was had by all.

Carpman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts