Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, we haven't forgotten or ignored you. We just haven't had the time. Internet service only comes with using my phone as a hot spot and even that is iffy.
Most of us arrived in the area on Friday morning. Shane got it on Thursday night and slept in his camper. Terry and I got a room about 2 hrs short of the goal and caught 5 hours of sleep. No point in getting in a hurry as the hwy we use was closed for construction and had a lot of mud. We were able to get through just before noon on Friday. Friday was mostly windy with a little rain and heavy cloud cover. Today was a little better with temps in the upper 50's and low 60's still with clouds. Dog activity is low on cloudy windy days, but most everyone still shot dogs. While I did do some shooting I spent time setting up my part of the camp and trailer that also serves as our kitchen and dining area. I also set up the outdoor shower today. Everything is green and there are plenty of pups. Tomorrow should be the best day so far. Five of the crew are camping, including Shane and I, four more are staying in town at a motel. I expect you will hear from Shane and I'll probably post tomorrow as well. BTW- this is my twentieth anniversary shooting here.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Thanks for the report, Rick. I've set a goal to have my knees and my stamina improved enough to make the trip next year if invited. In the meantime, pass me that pot of Drew's, and tell Cliff that City Boy says hello. Hope y'all really lay into 'em today.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Kill me a Rattlesnake fellas!
Last time I was there I heard a BIGGUN buzzing in a grown up ditch way out on the hill at the far end.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Good luck guys...I hope yo head to NM next week for 3-4 days. it‘s only about 5 jour drive from here. I loaded 300 rounds for the 17 MK4 last couple of days.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Here's a pic of camp from this morning. I was going to post then but got sidetracked.

And my transportation around loaded and ready to go.

Lots of dogs got killed today and I'm sure a lot more will get taken out tomorrow.

Here's a pic for the heck of it.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Well I'm packing up and going to head home in a few. Here's a pic of the empty brass. My favorite is my 221 fireball. It's a used barrel I got from Carl in 22ppc and rechambered it for a savage. It snapped head off little bodies all day today under 100yards.

Here's a pic of the mobile set up which got used almost non stop with 2 little walk abouts.

It worked very well even in the wind today.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Lot of empty cases so you had a Great Shoot!.
You said "Going Home" I thought you were going on to Nevada.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
The wife did not want to take that much vacation time so I'm going home then we are flying to Nevada next week.

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
I'm envious. My shooting table doesn't have a motor.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Well finally back to the shop to unhook trailer and limp the Suburban home to unload it. Traffic sucked all around Indy as I hit rush hour and an all day rain and multiple crashes.
.223-189
221FB-459
20Tac-170
204R-182
20VT-227
Should give me plenty to reload for a while provided I can find 20 cal bullets.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have 400 17 MK4’s, 500 223’s loaded. I use a lot of 17 HNR;s and 22 LR for probably 1/2 my shooting. TX Jack, Dr, Bubba, and I went to NM some years back,,,,and we shot an insane amount of 22 LR. And plan on spending a lot of time with the little redhead and letting her shoot if she gets to go.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
I took more ammo than needed again but I'd rather have to bring it back than run out and throw rocks at them! I tried to run out this time though. Having the 4 wheeler to move and shoot off of made my kill count go up a bunch over walking. I shot off my bench maybe 3 times....mostly right before dark and I was taking longer shots.

Big thanks go out to the ranch owner for letting us heathens come shoot and to Rick who does some damn good cooking. If anyone goes hungry it was thier fault for sure! Also for the morning coffee!...I tried a percolator the first day and decided it was better out of the coffee pot. Weather was a little cool and damp the first day but nothing got blown away and weather turned out to be great!
I also think he hooked a newbie pretty good as well.
Even though the drive is long it was well worth it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts