Varmint Hunters Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
PD Safari 2021 Phase one is in the books. This one was, for me, one of the best. The weather after a cool, rainy first couple of days warmed and the wind laid down. This resulted in pleasant days and good shooting. My new cargo trailer tuned out to be successful, particularly in that I was able to bring my wife's gator (took a lot of heat for that), which made everything better for me. Pretty sure Shane shot more than anyone else, but that was everyone's personal choice. Our newby, friend and gunsmith David Wilson, is very much hooked. I suspect he will become a regular. It does seem that everyone had a fine trip and few if any complaints. If things go as planned we'll move to phase two in about five weeks.

Rick

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Haven't been to the PD fields for a while, but as I recall, we would average about 350-400 rounds per day, using multiple rifles and calibers, pretty much all CF from 22 Hornet to 243 Winchester. Only brought a RF once, as by the time we could get there, the dogs were already educated. Most shots were 200 - 450yds. I usually brought 1500-1800 rounds,

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I occupied a lot of my time cooking and cleaning up, organizing the camp, visiting with the other guys and also the rancher who is our host. I'm no longer "mad" at the dogs and don't shoot nearly as much as I once did. I shot less than 500 rounds over the entire trip, but since I took most shots at 125 yds or less, the hit percentage was fairly high. I had a good time, one of the best in twenty years.

Rick

21 - 24 of 24 Posts