Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one heard of, or used, peppermint oil in their homes to repel mice, rats, chipmunks and other rodents? Several people where I work just had a rat problem (abandoned farm next to them burned down a couple of days ago) and the county extension agent recommended peppermint oil to repel them. One of them has tried it and got rid of the rats in less than 2 days.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I park my RV in a remote location during the summer and have trouble with mice, I would be very interested in this. Exactly where do you get it, how much do you use, how do you use it, etc. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have been told is that you need pure peppermint oil, not the extract but the pure thing. You put 2-3 drops of the oil on cotton balls and distribute them where you thing the pests maybe. Supposed to get rid of them in a couple of days. I have not been able to find the oil in my area except in an organic grocery. Most places only sell the extract which doesn't work on the critters. We were warned not to let pets get at the oil, can cause burns and even death if enough is swallowed. Also, do not get it on your hands or in your eyes, again, burning is the problem. I got 1 ounce of the stuff for $12.75, expensive compared to other oils or liquids. I have put some in my basement but will not know if it really works, I have not seen evidence of mice but am using the oil as a preventative measure now the the winter cold is finally upon us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes it works and where to get it.

We've used peppermint oil outdoors to keep squirrels off of a bird feeder and it worked well until it either evaporated or washed away in the Florida weather. A good source is www.camdengrey.com and more specific link is http://www.bestdeal.org/essential-camden/pepperm-4.html for four ounces at the same price as one ounce quoted above. I have ordered only once from this company but there were no problems and would use them again.

Bubba RoadKill
Suffering from post bovine traumatic shock disorder.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yep it does indeed work and it is the pure oil not he extract that works. We use it in our travel trailer and in the barn around the animal feed containers. Like the others have said keep it away from pets and small children as it can be toxic and will burn skin and eyes. Shop around as prices vary greatly from source to source.
Gary

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Veddy intorestink!!!

I had not heard of peppermint oil before. I've used Bounce dryer sheets in my cars which seems to work very well. But, peppermint sounds like a much better solution, perhaps.

As for getting rid of, vs. repelling 'em, I found this stuff called "One Bite" I get from the local farm supply outlets. It makes Decon look like candy!! I had a major infestation on the place one year - the buggers were invading my vehicles, garage, machine shop, and the house (where I killed 45 of them in traps alone!) They all dissappeared in about 5 days after I spread a pound of the stuff in the usual hiding places, and a second pound (just in case) went begging - no more takers. ONly one died in the house...In the heater vent, as it happened. That was not so good for a couple weeks till the little bastard dried out. (I shut off the vent, and that stopped the furnace from circulating his "presence".)

Peppermint oil, 'eh? Gotta love this board!!

P.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like we got a winner here with something simple that works. I will check those links to find a lower price for the oil. Even at the almost $13 I paid for it sounds like it is well worth it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Has anyone tried Moth Balls?

..and the smell is sooo pleasant. :D

Moth Balls worked to keep mice away from the house for years until our little daugther turn turned two years old and then the cat came to replace the chemicals.

I just loved the smell of moth balls in the morning! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts