Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I thought I show you all how I spent yesterday. Woke up at 2:AM for the 3.5 hour drive to chase pheasants with my youngest brother, this was his first season hunting and 1st time out after ditch parrots Along with Rex, he had never seen a pheasant below. We ended up with 3 between us, and Rex did better than I would have thought for a 11.5 month old pup. The 2nd field we hunted, I had already limited so it was just Daniel and Rex and I had more time to watch the dog. Rex pointed and put up five birds within 15 minutes and Daniel connected on one, He would have had more if he had remembered to bring more shells with him and didn't want to walk back to the truck. Rex slept all the way home and hasn't moved much since we got home. He's ones tired pup. I figured he did about 10 miles of running today. Looking forward to fixing these birds up right fro a nice meal.

Michael

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like what I would rather have been doing with my two GSPs instead of staying indoors, sick, while it snowed a foot and blew trees over outside...
Nice way to 'set the hook' in Daniel, he looks pretty happy.
Good lookin' dog, good looking shotgun too. What is it? I hunt with an old Citori myself.

ETA: Avatars need to be bigger, that's my GSP Covey Run's Premium Blend pointing a rooster last October in North Dakota.

6mmRemington

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 20 gauge Ruger Red label, "Quail Country" special edition with engraving and decent wood. I've been wanting a Citori 525 field model.

Rex is out 57 lb lap dog out of Jaegerhoff's Shorthairs in AZ and is a great field companion.
I've heard real good things about Covey Run

Michael

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
It's a 20 gauge Ruger Red label, "Quail Country" special edition with engraving and decent wood. I've been wanting a Citori 525 field model. Michael
"Pheasant hunting is worth it at any price!" (according to Hemingway). I think I agree.

I thought that was a RL 20 ga there. I bought a RL 28 ga to see if I liked the 28 ga. for dove and quail. I thought if I liked the 28 I would sell it and upgrade to a Beretta. Well, nuttin' against a Beretta, but as for the little RL 28, I LOVE IT! And, it even gets some pheasant work too! (Winchester makes some 1 oz. #6s for it that work just peachy!!) So, I'm out of the market for 28s. The little Red Label is a very sweet looking and handling gun.

Well, thanks for taking us along on you trip. It has been a while since I heard anyone call pheasants "ditch parrots", and remembering who used to call them that made me laugh!

Thanks for the pix too!

P.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Covey Run produces some great dogs, my bitch and my best friend's dog are both from there. She's raised her buyer standards since I got Kona though, requires all owners to show to a certain level and I don't show dogs anymore. I'll have to get one of my friend's dog's pups in a few years.
Funny Ruger story: We are at the rifle range, and some shotgunners are throwing clay pigeons. They know they aren't supposed to be there, but they are also people we know, and about done. My friend breaks out his brand new RL 20 gauge and asks if he can pop a couple (after all the ooohing and aaahing was over) so they throw him a few doubles. He misses. All of them. I laugh at him, since he was telling me how perfect this new gun fit him, and he hands it to me: "OK, smartass, you try!"
So they throw me a double, and I miss them both. He starts in on me, and I said it was due to the RL fitting me different than my Citori, and I knew I had shot under both birds. He challenges me to prove it, so they launch another double, and I powdered them both in a fast double-tap and hand him back the shotgun.

Couldn't do that again in a million years. I'm a 21 out of 25 guy, consistently.

6mmRemington

·
Registered
67 Posts
gsp

I think is a shame when breeders of hunting dogs care more about showing than hunting. They should screen prospective owners by time spent hunting,not showing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think is a shame when breeders of hunting dogs care more about showing than hunting. They should screen prospective owners by time spent hunting,not showing.
Yes/no... I think hunting ability should be foremost, but breed standards are enforced in the ring. I'd rather have a field champion bloodline dog than a show champion bloodline dog, but what I really like are dual campion bloodline dogs. True to the standard, and up to the hunt. Like mine.

6mmRemington

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rex came from a serious breeder who shows. His parents are both master hunters but we ended up him since he was not desirable as a show dog. He was not our first choice and we named him moose when we first met the pups. He was the largest pup in the litter. When it came down to it, he was all that was left, even though we had 2nd pick and a deposit in place. Regardless since the breeders are "Show People" first and hunters 2nd and they knew he would be hunted and not showed. we ended up with him, and I could not be happier.
Can't imagine having anything different. Though I would like to have a liver/ white patched male.

I'd be afraid of dinging up a pretty Citori in the southern deserts we hunt.

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts