Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Pictures for Rookies -- Guns

5K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Markbo 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a few of what you might want to try if you are one of the winners in the rookie drawing. Dogsgone & Heck seem to always have a gun or three for the rookies to try. Some of these are not in the usual calibers. Have several makes & styles that you may like trying. Even let rookies help break them in sometimes. Right "gonedawgin". These are Hecks Coopers. Will try to get more gun pics posted in next day or so. The reason for the barrel leaning on the right is this is a switch barrel done by Weaver Rifles in 221 Fireball & 20 KW Special. Heck

#7 ·
'Bout your Coopers......

Heck....

What model (s) are your Coopers?

Also, what make and model is your favorite scope to put on one?

Not tryin' to be nosy, it's just the fore ends look different from mine...more like a BR gun.

Mine are Montana Varminters. My wife says my hobby is not shooting; it's collecting Coopers. Nothing to match yours, tho.

Thanks,

Pat

#8 ·
Rookies BEWARE

Heck will lwt you fondle them admire them and even shoot em, (he's even been known to give one away), but I am here to tell you that it will cost on down the road!!!!!!! If you don't beleive me ask some of the previous rookies. Seems like even when it was the Ruger #1 craze(he still has several of them) Cliff and Grant and Jason's dad took some of them home!!! LOL Dogsgone

#9 ·
here is a picture of me shooting one of Heck's coopers
as one of the Rookies of 2005

here is a picture of 20 var-targ & 20 bobcat 7 204 Ruger for comparison

here is another Cooper this one 20 var-targ

Merry Christms to Heck & vince..........

Merry Christmas to my Other 2005 Rookies...
(thanks for your help for the Merry Cooper Christmas)

Merry Christmas to all GGVGers.........

Enjoy your familes and friends this season
Be Safe in your Travels

R

#11 ·
Heck, I don't believe those are your rifles...............

There's no place in the Liars Lounge that tidy ! LOL

Guys, if you get picked for the Rookie Hunt, you will have more fun than you can imagine. Not only will you get to shoot some of these fine rifles, but you will meet two of the greatest guys I know. Don't miss the opportunity to go shoot with these guys.

ThJudg (Roger)

#12 ·
Merry Christmas Heck & Vince and all past Rookies

Anyone one who has met these guys will never forget them or the good times they spent with them. Heck is generous to a fault with some of the finests rifles this ole boy has ever seen.

I've had the good fortune to break in several brand new rifles some from opening the box, INSTANT load development to blooding them, although never got to put the first blood on them as Heck rarely misses even with a bore sighted only. That's one shot a couple of cranks on the turret bang dead dog. Amazing to watch.

But Heck hasn't kept all the Cooper's for himself, my wife got me an Anniversery/Christmas gift early. 243AI, Muzzle Brake by Kevin Weaver and a Bushnell 4200 mil-dot.

Want to wish Everyone on the Board a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Rick & Lynette

#17 ·
First a quick Hello to Heck and Vince. And beyond the Coopers- you can pick some old classics. I shot Heck's custom barreled No. 1 in 219 Donaldson Wasp, something I had been wondering about for some time. So, you new rookies can also try out some real exotic calibers. And, even get to see what your reloading room should look like........

#21 ·
A few

I thought that varmint batteries like that only existed in heaven! -- grin

Wow, 13 Coopers. And every one looks gorgeous. I would be happy to own just one.

Lance in Orygun
Think this is most my varmint guns. Do have another 17 HMR and a 17 Mach2 not on list. Hey Cliff I still have couple of Ruger #1's. Can't wait for this.

MANUFACTURER CALIBER
COOPER 17 MACH IV
COOPER 20 BOBCAT
REMINGTON XR100 20 BOBCAT
COOPER 20 TACTICAL
COOPER 20 VARTARG
COOPER 20 VARTARG
COOPER 204 RUGER
KIMBER 204 RUGER
REMINGTON 700 VLT 204 RUGER
REMINGTON VSSF II 204 RUGER
HOWA VARMINT LIGHTNING 204 RUGER
REMINGTON XR100 204 RUGER
RUGER #1 219 WASP
COOPER 22 BR
RUGER #1 22 BR
RUGER #1 22 BR
RUGER #1 22 BR
RUGER #1 22 BR
COOPER 22 PPC
RUGER #1 220 SWIFT
COOPER SWITCH BARREL 20 k.w. SPECIAL
COOPER SWITCH BARREL 221 FIREBALL
RUGER #1 221 FIREBALL
COOPER 222 MAGNUM
COOPER 222 REM.
BROWNING (SAKO) 222 REM.
RUGER # 3 222 REM.
REMINGTON 700 222 REM.
RUGER #1 222 REM.
COOPER 223 REM.
COOPER 223 REM.
HOWA 1500 223 REM.
REMINGTON VSF 223 REM.
REMINGTON VS 223 REM.
REMINGTON VSF 223 REM.
REMINGTON 700 223 REM.
REMINGTON 700 VSSF 223 REM.
REMINTON LVSF 223 REM.
RUGER #1 223 REM.
RUGER #1 223 REM.
SAKO 75 223 REM.
WINCHESTER HV 223 REM.
WINCHESTER COYOTE 223 REM.
RUGER #1 225 WIN.
RUGER #1 225 WIN.
RUGER #1 22X30-30
RUGER #1 6mm BR
ANSCHUTZ 1517 17 HMR

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Hope I'm not

The nice thing is I think they all shoot about as well as they look. Wish I was capable of what they are, That might be nice. Do know that all in picture have been hard on a few PD's. Going out to check if a few mounds are above the snow in a few minutes. Probably won't take A cooper but do have a Kimber in 204 Ruger that I need to shoot more. SO!!!! Heck

#22 ·
The Liars Lounge

If you guys think you are dedicated to varmint rifles and reloading you have never seen anything like the Liars Lounge. How many people have to buy a building to house their rifles and equipment? Heck's reloading area has four or five presses set up with a primer catcher that is a 5 gal. bucket pretty much full of spent primers. He has shelves of loaded ammo in boxes marked for each of his many rifles. I looked in a small back room and saw shelves full of scopes. Heck and Vince are great people and you Rookies will have a unique experence.

#25 ·
Forgot Heck had proof

This is a pic of me breaking in a new rifle for Heck. First Cooper I ever shot wasn't the last.

It was like slave labor he needed fire formed brass and made me shoot over 100 rounds thru that rifle. It was tough but I hung in there:D

Thanks Heck

Rick

#26 ·
Draggin up old stories......

Seen this post and laughed. I know I am way to late for others. Heck got me with the Coopers Now own 3. (had 5 at one time) But he really got my father with the Ruger #1.

Heck I think you need to talk to him and tell him he needs more Bolt guns ;)
I feel in love with the Coopers with heck and vVnce out there. I end up buying 22 ppc cooper (what a shooter) from heck even. My father bought 2-3? #1's unsure anymore. Which turned into collecting them.

I was a winner of the Rookie hunt along with Cliff and Grant. I think this was around when I first had my son. Who turned out to be left handed. This is where my dad decided to get a gun that he can shoot.

DONT touch there guns....There bad news LOL

Take care all and I still think about the PD hunting till this day....

#27 ·
I was talking to my gal the other day about the hunt and she said, "You know it's only 3 months away... are you all done with making bullets?"

3 MONTHS??? Where has the time gone! I have got to get find some bullets and some more brass to make my loads up! I have enough for testing and that's it. If anyone sees any 50 & 55gr bulk varmint bullets, or even Vmax's or Blitzkings, please let me know!

I can't wait to see the Liar's lounge. I have 100 questions to ask about reloading. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.