Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been slowly reducing the flying rat population . Haven't seen them around for a week . Is it possible they got tired of me picking them off one by one?
On a weather note .... its a -8 with nice north wind . chill factor south of -20 . Am heading south in a few minutes , well....just 60 miles and dang got to come back for another load of grain :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its my experience that most pigeons tend to have plenty of places to feed/roost and won't put up with a lot of pressure. When I was a kid we would go to a dairy farm and have one or two good volleys at the pigeons and they would leave....for days. However, I did learn that soon after they hatched and left the nest the young birds would not go elsewhere very long. It seemed that this farm was the only place they knew to roost. We would arrive about 2 hours before dark and kill or flush ever one we could. One of us would set up at the silo and the other at the hay barn some 40 yds away. As it got closer to dark the shooting would get exciting as the birds headed to the only roost they knew . Pigeons make for some excellent wing shooting practice, I wish I could make another trip to that farm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've seen..

Them take off after a specific number in their flock have been dusted, and normally it's the leaders.

After a while they will return. Keep up wht good work! I'm up to 138 here in the 'burbs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I totally wiped them out in several large metal buildings where I used to work, used to shoot them on sight for a couple of years. Been away from that place for over 10 years, my old boss said they haven't had any since then. Actually even got paid to grease them. Was fun while it lasted.
Barry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts