Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I propose to discuss the most elusive bait for pike fishing. I bring up the issue for a general discussion. Interesting to know: types of baits, Size, weight, Color etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seriously, in this order: first of all oscillators, turntables, wobblers. Well, of course, jig, especially closer to winter. I do not advise specific models, I think it depends on local conditions, and even more on fisherman's tastes. I want to share the observation: not always what the angler thinks should work - it works. This is the question of two-component red color suspenders.

·
Registered
157 Posts
pike lure

Only lure I use for 'em is a blue Rapala. Floating or sinking doesn't make a
difference. Caught lots of them on these lures over the years. Keeps the old
tackle box small and uncluttered. Good for casting and trolling. Other critters
take to them too.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Depends on the definition of pike. Northern Pike / Musky or Walleyed Pike / Sauger.
For northern pike live suckers works the best and the larger they are the better. You rig a harness and troll with them or still fish with a bobber. The size I prefer is a sucker about 12-15 inches, so it kind of hard to cast them. It’s true. The bigger the bait the larger the predator fish is. Northerns are territorial if you see them one day, they will be there the next day. And there is very few other fish in that area. I have caught notherns in excess of 44 inches. And have hooked muskies larger than that, but never landed them. They are strong fish. Largest Muskie that I landed has was 37 inches, just a youngster.
For walleyes I prefer leeches about 3-4 inches long or night crawlers on not to big of a hook and about a 6-8 foot leader, fishing about a foot off the bottom and trolling very slow 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 mph on top of a steep break.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A good way to jarr yer nervous system back to life is catching Bass and/or Northern Pike and/or Muskie on some sort of top-water lure.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When I was going to Canada to fish every year I made up a dozen lures that sort of resembled a old Bass Oreno Used gang treble hooks in the middle and a single trailer treble hook in the rear it would dive to about 10/12 feet slow trolling. run about 6 feet when realling in after a cast. You could also fish it on top just by twitching and jerking.
It was an inch in diameter 4 inches long had a groove in front that made a small lip in front and ran back 2 inches.

Also had a soft spot for a big flat fish lure i painted red and white.

Now my brother really liked the Yed double spinner buzz bait jig combo.

:D Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts