Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a savage that will rattle your teeth with recoil - no fun. If I take off the pad and pour the stock full of small lead shot, would that help cut the recoil ? Any down side to that other than the extra weight to carry ? Or would a replacement stock be the only way to go ? If so, what works well & isn't to pricey for a 110? I will eventually have to get a different stock when I rebarrel to a heavier barrel but would like to get some fun out of it until then. Too many projects demanding both time & $. Ain't these problems the good kind to have.:D

·
Registered
321 Posts
this is a quick posting.....

there are several outfits making buffers/recoil absorbers that fit inside your stock.

Just don't have any listings/URL's handy at this time......:(

Was looking at them myself when plotting a 300WinMag.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Spray some of that insulating foam in first and then adding the shot will cut down on the rattling.
Another thing you can do is mix shot and bedding compound and fill in the forearm,helps stiffen it up a bit too.
Putting on a better recoil pad is cheap and can realy help!
A muzzle brake would defiantly help but has its drawbacks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Look for a Limbsaver pad. I have them on 2 different rifles with wood stocks and they make a big difference. I don't think they have one for the synthetics, however. You might buy a slip on for bench shooting. Shot and epoxy in the butt will add alot of weight; its a pretty big cavity.......ask me how I know!

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
I made a molded lead insert to balance the addition of a bipot on my 12FV. It ended up being about 14 1/2 # and is a beast to carry around. Try a recoil pad and recoil insert insert first. The amount of rise in the stock may have an effect on percieveid recoil. What Calibre is the gun?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one is 7-08 that is pleasant to shoot, but the other two

are 30-06 & 7 mag. I put a slip on limbsaver on the 08 and the 06 with OK results. But 7 mag I'm afraid to shoot as is. Think it will require a better plan. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.