Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does corn media last when polishing brass? I've been adding polish for the last several batches, but, it seems like the brass is not getting any brighter. As I get older, CRS has set in. Appreciate comments.....Thanks. :eek:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Polishing media

I can't tell you for sure how long media will last when you rejuvanate it, but it does reach a point where it just don't clean anymore.... the life of media depends a lot of times on not only how much you use it but how much "stuff" is on your brass..I clean my brass after sizing to get the lube off it ....when mine gets to the point that the brass is dull and unpolished looking even after I have added the "rejuvanators" I dump it and start over.......sounds like your stuff might be getting there.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Treated crushed walnut shells is better than corncob

I noticed my corncob media wasn't getting the job done too. I bought some crushed walnut media, and a bottle of polish that is periodically added as needed.

I can report that the walnut shells have been in there for twice as long as the old CC media, and with an occational "boost" of liquid polish, it works as well as ever!

One thing I do not do is run cases to remove sizing lube, specifically to extend the life of the media. However, some plain cc media in a separate container used strictly for cleaning lube off would prolly work well, and save your walnut shells/polish for shining.

Either way, of all the reloading stuff one buys, cleaning media has to be on the least expensive to buy, fortunately.:)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Same thing happens to me... I use corn cobb with Midway stuff, in a large Dillon vibratory polisher.
The cases will come out looking like they were polished on a jeweler's wheel at first, but when the corn cobb gets to lookin' black, and there is a black dust in the machine, they will come out clean, but not with the same high polish...
... that's when I dump it.

It seems a waste, but I can't figger out how to stretch it, if I want the cases to look really polished (and we ALL know that the more polished a case is, the more accurate it is!).

·
Registered
511 Posts
First I deprime then I clean in walnut media. Then if the walnut is getting bad and is leaving dust then I dump them in some corn cob for long enough to remove any dust. Then I size and if I use lube(love those Lee collet dies, no lube:D ) then they go back in the corn cob to remove the lube.

I clean till the inside of the neck is clean along with the outside. usually 1 hr in new media with polish and I through it away after it takes too long to clean. Like maybe 4+ hours.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Other Considerations

I've not been in the polishing business long, and I don't run big batches in my vibrator. I'm using cob and some Cabela's agent. I did notice that it would take a longer time to get the cases polished. I also tend to run overnite a lot. Probably a wonder there is any brass left.....

As the media darkens, I have to add a little more brightening agent. Then, a load of cases would actually get a darkened appearance after a half hour or so. I figured that was the absolute end of media life. I figure I won't let it get that black in the future.

And, I got to thinking, (wondrous occurence), there must be a lot of lead in the 'black' stuff growing in the media. So, when the actual black dust started showing up, I figured it was time to dump. I'm pretty careful not to spill it, create any more dust than necessary, and don't handle it any more than necessary. I don't have a separator tumbler, and don't think I will get one. I use gloves to pick cases out of the bowl. I guess I'm getting paranoid in my old age.
FWIW, -West

·
Registered
211 Posts
Try Some Strips of Paper Towels.

I have read this one several times & recently tried it. Seems to work, take ordinary paper towels & tear into 2" wide strips & half them, just add them to the media & let it run with what ever U have in there. I have been goinin with 4 strips @ a time. U will B surprised @ the amount of stuff that seems to cling to the strips, discard after each run. My 2¢ Russ.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have read this one several times & recently tried it. Seems to work, take ordinary paper towels & tear into 2" wide strips & half them, just add them to the media & let it run with what ever U have in there. I have been goinin with 4 strips @ a time. U will B surprised @ the amount of stuff that seems to cling to the strips, discard after each run. My 2¢ Russ.
I gave up on that as it just didn't seem worth the hassle. Media is cheep enough to me that all this washing and monkeying around I'll just by new

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Yeah but...

First I deprime then I clean in walnut media. Then if the walnut is getting bad and is leaving dust then I dump them in some corn cob for long enough to remove any dust. Then I size and if I use lube(love those Lee collet dies, no lube:D )
Those Lee collet dies don't FL size either, or do they? FL sizing is where my cases really get gooie, and the media gets full of it pretty fast. (But, then again, the media is not all that expensive to replace either.) I don't even worry 'bout cleaning necks after running them thru the neck bushing (nitrided bushings don't require any lube either...so THERE! :p )

P.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Noper. They squeeze the neck only

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've got some old corn-cob in my vibrator right now and it just sort of cleaned the brass but no shine, so I cut up some chunks from an old white sock and let those run thru the corn-cob for awhile, took them out then added a little liquid polish and ran the brass thru again, worked, nice shinny brass.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I buy Lizzard Litter from the Pet shop. It is crushed walnut shell and is pretty cheap. I will add a cut up used dryer sheet to suck up excess dust and discard as needed.
What common polishing additives do you guys use? I have heard that polish with ammonia is a no no!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts