Varmint Hunters Forum banner

How many years hanging out at GGVG/Varmint Den? Around ...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it would be interesting to see the numbers on how long the folks have been hanging out here. Please feel free to vote...I encourage you to vote. Try to be honest too. ;)

I know the board goes back almost and just at 10years according to John and Mike so I have put a 9+ for a good margin for error over 9 to cover things.

DB

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Since late fall/early winter of 1996! In July of that year I got my first computer and in October I finally got the internet. One of my first searches, once I found out what a search engine was, was for "Thompson Center" and GGVG came up as one of the results due to lots of chat about the fairly new Encore. Thanks Mike for my home away from home, many people here are like family and if I do not see them posting for a while I get concerned and send them a personal e-mail or a phone call to see if things are alright.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Heck, I can't remember..

.. Maybe 9+ but I checked 8 cause I may be geezin'.. It seems like forever.. Strange how stuff gets "integrated" into your life so that it almost seems "natural".. Who'd have ever thunk it that some 'ol internet message board would do that.. But here's where I communicate with others "of my kind", so to speak.. My fellow club members and such are great guys but they just don't care much for anything technical when it comes to hunting and/or shooting..

..It's nice to have a bunch around to talk with and bounce ideas off of.. Even if we do disagree and outright rag each other's azz occasionally.. It's the same anywhere.. Lots of things I've picked up here have gone on to use in "real time"..

.. Thanks, fellas.!! I'm off to the club for a few days.. d:^) Jake

·
Registered
693 Posts
I might not have been here day one

but day two or day three I wandered by and looked in - and I've been here ever since. we could really have fun with an early GGVG trivia game -

what was the make / caliber of Mike's first REAL varmint rifle.
bonus question
what was Mike shooting prior to that first REAL rifle.

What cool species and at what exotic location is John famous for hunting varmints
bonus question
what was John's rifle of choice on that hunt

the list could go on = maybe others could add....

-niv

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm also in the 9+ group

I don't remember exactly when I started but it was sometime mid to late 97. I specificaly remember getting together with Varmint Al and going pig hunting in Dec 97 so I would have had to start on GGVG sometime before that.

I remember something about Mike's rifle but no specifics. I do know about John's goat hunt on Kahoolawe. I think he used a mini-14 or maybe an AR-15?

Dale

·
Registered
304 Posts
A friend said to go to this website.........

I think it was 2001........
I had a 6mm 788 and a 270 ruger..........I had one press

now well I lets see .......... 3 204's, a 222 a 223 a 22-250
so much more reloading stuff and componenets......
and I have learned a lot from GGVG and enjoyed reading GGvg.... sometimes several times a day......

R

·
Registered
446 Posts
Reporting in.. 9+ ..

.. I've been around a looong time but not as Aceball. My early alias was Black Feather, but those days are thankfully past.

This is a cool :cool: poll idea, thanks.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have been here since late 97 or early 98. Great forum. Like many of the others, I had few couple of rifles, now I am shooting lots of different calibers and the disorder shows no sign of relenting. The disorder really manifests itself with the building of custom rifles.

It even got to the point where I had to design two varmint cartridges of my very own.
Ken

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Well, let's see, it was sometime in my second marriage, which ran from 1995 to 2003. I know for sure that I found out about the Buck Creek egg shoots via GGVG and that was at least six years ago. Feels like GGVG has been a part of my shooting and personal life for dang near forever, and that's a good thing. I can't imagine the black hole that'd be left if we didn't have GGVG as part of my family.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's been a good time!

Somewhere in the vicinity of 8 years for me. I was reading another board and someone mentioned Varminthunters.com as being a nice place to hang out, and here I am. Now totally broke and also confused about which caliber I want to get into next!

It's been a great asset to me to keep up on what's new and the 'how-to' part of it all. I got to go on a prairie dog hunt a couple years ago with 2 great guys and that was directly a result of this board too. That would not have been possible had I not landed here.

I've enjoyed contributing what little bit of past experience that I have gotten in my own loading room too. Been making my own ammo since 1974.

Made a ton of new friends too, it's truely the best place on the 'net.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I voted at 8 years, but I'm pretty sure it's longer. They say as you get older, the memory is first to go maybe, but then....I forget.

Rick

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't remember,,,,profiles were 'zeroed'....

but I put 7 years.
I go here several times a day.
It is number ONE on my "Favorites" list [computer].
just saw a word I've never seen before by JakeNC,,,,"GEEZIN"....I'm thinking that must be what I do now. Turned 56 last wednesday,,,and the word "geezer" has gotten to mean more to me.........:)
When I read "geezin", I pictured an old man in a hardware store with a small part in his hands,,,and he is OBLIVIOUS to the world as he looks for a replacement part.
Yep,,,I'm "there".:eek:
Alan in GA
you guys are fun.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think it was summer of 1996, I found the GGVG just beforeor just after I got my first 17caliber and that was fall of 1996. And Jake in NC, you were on here then, you were the first one I remember . Art

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
long enough to know better.....

than listen to you old PHARTS....every time I do, I end up with something different. I think about 7 years.....or maybe 8????? I know some of you guys have had to listen to stories about my twin grandson's hunting adventures since they got their first turkeys when they were 5, they will turn 12 in a couple of weeks.:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have been coming here since two types of bulletin boards ago. Not sure how long that is but I am thinking at least seven years. I didn't post often if ever in the first year or so but read nearly every post. I was directed to this site by Crowblaster aka Ed from Tampa. Ed is the blame for many of my guns, several of which I purchased from Ed himself. Ed is the first if not only person I know that has shot more than 50,000 rounds through a Winchester 9422 Mag and 30,000 rounds through a Ruger 1022Mag. I now own that Ruger and the round count continues.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I started around 98 myself, it was the year I bought a laptop for home use. If memory serves me right, I was going thru Varmint Als website and stumbled across a link (or honorable mention) to the board and been here ever since.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I didn't know I had been here as long as I have. When I first got a computer I searched all the gun stuff..This site popped up, and I read a long time before posted... It's a great site, the owners and the group of people it draws both have good class

Clint

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.