Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would seating a bullet into the case say.100" (2.2" vs 2.1") cause higher PSI signs and poor accuracy (keyholes) it is in a .223 with BLC-2 (27.7gr)

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Probably Wrong Weight Bullet

If the weight of the bullets is not properly matched with the barrel
twist of your rifle, then the bullet is not going to stabelize and it
will keyhole and accuracy normally be real bad.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That probably isn't the problem

Don is right, what is the twist? I have an old Sako .222 that won't shoot 50gr and up plastic tipped bullets. I like the 50gr SP just fine. It will also shoot 35gr and 40gr V-Max bullets fine.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Don is right, what is the twist? I have an old Sako .222 that won't shoot 50gr and up plastic tipped bullets. I like the 50gr SP just fine. It will also shoot 35gr and 40gr V-Max bullets fine.
That sounds familiar SSV:rolleyes: My old Sako would do the same. Did NOT like many plastic tippers, but it did shoot the Nosler 40's ok.

Wade.......altering you seating depth by .100" of an inch can increase pressure, for sure. But tumbling bullets is more apt to be from wrong bullet weight/design relative the twist rate in your barrel. Im guessing if you changed your seating depth that much, it was because you went to a different bullet?

Or is your rifle suddenly doing this with ALL loads?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wade2131, if I am following both of your posts, you have a 20" Encore that is apparently keyholing using BLC-2 powder and 52gr HPs. The standard twist for an Encore is 1:12" twist. I have had accuracy issues with short barrelled 223s, 52gr + weight bullets, 1:12" twist, and for the short length barrel, a powder that would be considered slow. As a suggestion, I would try a lighter bullet and a faster powder like H4198 or if you want to stay with a ball type powder try AA2015. If that doesn't solve the issue, have a gunsmith look at the crown. It doesn't take much to touch up a crown with a crowning ball- 15 minutes maybe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
wrong bullet

My guess would be a bullet change while using same powder charge from a lighter bullet. Too much powder & no stabilization. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts