Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I shoot prairie dogs with some folks that have these home made benches that are light, extremely portable, and have rotating tops and seats. I am interested in finding a similar type shooting bench that is very protable, has rotating top and seat, and sets up and takes down fast. I am currently using a "Big Shooter" bench which while being very stable and comfortable, is too heavy for me and takes too long for me to pack up and move. The reason for the switch is that these folks get their rigs set up and start shooting so fast that I always miss out on all the close in action. Also, these folks like to move often when the action slows down and I am always lugging this big, heavy bench around.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
98 Posts
My vote is for the BR Pivot, spend the extra and get the Lightweight version. I can set mine up in a minute or so, and it rotates 360*. Yup, it's kinda heavy though.

6mmRemington

·
Registered
4 Posts
I second the BR Pivot.............

it is by far the best shooting platform i have ever used in the field. as i have said before, it is darn near as stable as a concrete bench, but portable and gives you a 360 degree rotation. comfortable enough for all day shooting. i am 6'10" 300 lbs and no problems with comfort or function.

if you want me to get into reasons why i will, but it is a long type. i have a masters in biomechanics and one of my thesis was on ergonomics. i can go on for a long time.

all in all, money well spent and i do not regret it one bit.

andy

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
bench

I have a bench from Knothole Designs, it isn't a rotating bench but it is light weight, very portable, and the price is right on them. I picked mine up at the Varmint Hunter's Jamboree a few years back. I'm pretty sure they are still available.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Where to find pivoting BR, lightweight versions?

There seems to be a few different flavors of the pivoting BR around. Which specifi lightweight ones are you speaking of and where are they to be found? Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The one and only is BR Pivot by Varmintmasters, LLC.

You are right, there are many versions out there, but only original one, the BR Pivot by Varmintmasters, LLC. they can be found at www.varmintmasters.net. the others i believe are infringing on a copyright and patent. i will not support that. the owner is a member here, Rick in Oregon and one of the nicest guys i have ever done business with. he is an avid shooter and many years, thought, and dollars went into the design. contact him with any questions and he will give you an honest answer.

andy

·
Registered
58 Posts
What about one of the Ultimate Varmint tripods such as those shown in "A Varmint Hunter's Odyssey" by Steve Hansen (Precision Shooting)? IIRC, R.W. Hart either made them, or I think maybe they were the reseller and McFadden was the shop that made them. Basically a custom rifle rest on top of a surveyor's tripod. I believe a guy on here a few years back (ok, five or six) used to make something similar... Jake something or other. Seemed like a pretty slick idea... when you transit from one place to the next, sling the rifle and ammo bag over your shoulder, pick up the folding stool in one hand and the tripod in the other and walk on. Not too heavy, but I doubt I'd want to go up any kind of hill or steep rise with one of these and a medium-heavy varmint rifle...

Foudn one of them...

http://www.mcfaden.com/tripod.htm

And here's the other one...

http://ncvarminter.com/Tripod.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts