Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I use a variable speed drill hooked up to a Wilson. But unless I have an awful lot of brass to remove, the hand crank does very well. Either way it only takes a few seconds per case.

Rick

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just bought a Lyman Universal

with Power Adapter. Was considering an RCBS, but once I get through this initial burst of trimming, I'm more like Greyfox and will be using the hand cranker.

Besides, the Lyman is one heck of a lot cheaper then the RCBS.

I'm on the back end of trimming 500 military 308 cases. You have to use a drill or power screwdriver with the Lyman, but since I have several of both already, what a savings from not buying the RCBS.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=720825

For what it's worth.:D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Lyman

Have a Lyman with the built in motor. I like it as does fast work of casings. Have the one step inside outside deburring tool and outside neck turner kit with it also. Cleans primer pockets on the left side of the trimmer. I bought it on a clearance sale at Gander Mtn. for $60 quite awhile ago. I should of bought all they had and resold them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you reload a lot of rifle cartridges like I do, there is only one choice, the Giraud Power Trimmer, a bit expensive but worth every penny when you are reloading quantity.

http://www.giraudtool.com/

If you look at the price of the RCBS and then add in the three way cutter head, you are very close to the price of the Giraud, and the Giraud will trim 4 or 5 cases in the same amount of time the RCBS does ONE.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been using rcbs for many years now. Just did 600 for new 204 bbl. With 3-way cutter a snap. Just remember to run new cases thru neck sizer 1st to make sure necks round. good luck

Bill Z

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys

for the info. I can't let go of the cash till I'm sure of what I need. just getting tired of the hand crank even tho they do a fine job.That seems to be the the most tiesome part of the process for me anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
MCS makes a nice one...(PIX)

Actually it is a mini-lathe. So, it has a lot more versitility that a dedicated power trimmer.

In the chuck is the RCBS 3-in-one case trimmer: it trims to length and does both the inside and outside chamfering in one step. This saves a lot of time. The tail stock is a quick-release case head (stepped) collet.

In addition to case length trimming, it will square the case heads, uniform the primer pockets, de-bur the flash holes, and turn the necks - basically remanufacture the danged cases, if that is what ya want to do.

In spite of all that, for match cases, I give them a final pass using my K&M neck turner and a cordless drill and a good movie (to watch;) )

P.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I'm With Grey Fox On This Issue

YOu can spend all the money you want and you will get no more accurate
case trimmer than the Wilson. You will need to buy a case holder for the
round that you want to trim. There are several case holders that will work
for several cases, ie 22-250, 243, etc. I use the Sinclair clamp if you will
to hold the case holder in the Wilson Trimmer. The Wilson Trimmer acts
just like a mini lathe tirmming the case. I also use the Sinclair power adapter
and a 12 volt cordless drill. The Wilson Trimmer are for sale all over E Bay
all the time. Probably several for sale right now. You can't go wrong with a
Wilson !;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Lyman with power adapter hooked to a rechargable drill. Not the best but cost effective. Pain to charge the drill, but can do it while the Lyman powder dispenser is warming up!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I used a Forster hand cranked trimmer for pistol cases and couldn't get consistent length. I also have a Wilson and it's way too slow. Power trimmers are the way to go. I use an RCBS trim pro and it works beautifully. The way a case is held makes it very convenient to use. Get a sequence and things go pretty quickly....chamfer and de-burr while the next one is cutting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts