Varmint Hunters Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Unless you know some shortcuts, it took you quite a while to post that many YouTube videos, and I really, really appreciate it. Looks like quite an event. Thanks for thinking of us and "taking us along." I think what made me smile the most is how much the really old tractors looked like train engines. Makes sense.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Gabriel, thanks a lot for posting all those pictures. That looks like an interesting show, I would just love to see that.
I’m a member of the Western Minnesota Steam Theashers in Rollag MN. I also have a steam boiler license. The WMST have a demonstration Sept 2 - Sept 6 this year. The grounds cover 200 acres. Each year is dedicated to different makes of tractors. This year it’s Hart Parr & Advance Rimley.
There is a multitude of things to see. Plowing demonstration of 140 Case steam engine plowing a field with a 20 bottom platform plow.
Beautiful teams of horses hauling bundles of grain to the thrashing machine. At the saw mill they boards and male shingles. You can take a ride on a large 6 wheel steam train. You will see a steam powered Lima Drag line digging a ditch.
At the black smith shop you see them sharpening plow shares, making hinges and nails and shoeing horses.
It’s not only steam power on display but also the early antique tractors dating back in the late 1800’s. All of them are being operated there. There is also many other antique tractors from about the 1920’s up to the 60’s.
What it depicts is the beginning of the mechanized farming era and the Bonaza wheat and barley farms in the early 1900’s. Everyday there is a huge tractor parade showing all the tractors that members have brought there.
The food there is great. The church ladies put on a thrashing crew feed just like the old days. Home grown vegetables, fresh meats, Home made bread, big thick pies, cake and cookies. Black-Black boiled egg shell coffee. It better than expresso I think. Other beverages also, including butter milk.
There is camping available, church services on Sunday morn, music and dancing in the evening.. And of coarse more food and drink.
You tube has some info and videos on WMST reunion .

·
Administrator
1,958 Posts
There is an upcoming steam show and gathering at Republic, MO. which is about 70 miles south west of me. I have been there several times, but not since I have a hard time walking. There is usually a large number of old farm tractors along with the implements. Many usual things there, the last time I was there a fellow had brought an 8n Ford tractor that he had put a flat head Ford V8 in, it really sounded sweet when he fired it up. Several stationary engines that are located there all time, plus huge Hit and miss engines.

I am including a link to it here 60th Annual Steam-O-Rama | September 15th-18th, 2022/

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
@mrmurl I looked that place up. I sure would give $5 to attend but not $300 gas to get there.
Needless to sat that place that 2Feathers posted in Minnesota is many hundreds of miles from me.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts