Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That thread about the friendly buck was a trip down memory lane. Got me thinking about the tricks we used to play on fellow hunting partners and even hunters we didn`t know. (please no flames as I`m not claiming that the "Friendly Buck" was a fraud) It jus` looked.... um,... funny...

So guys and gals, fess up. We want to hear about the tricks you have used on others and also those where you were on the recieving end. It`ll also be a great source for future "projects" too, hehe.
Personally, I believe it is better to give than to recieve.....

Here`s the one my pard`s and I used the most. Not a new idea by any means. I bet it`s been around since man learned to hunt...

Back 30 years ago, when average sized racks were of little value, or maybe $1.00 - $2.00 at garage sales, we`d buy em up, screw them to a 2x4 and chop a hole in a 30 gallon drum for the 2x4 to jam into and stick it up on the edge of a clearcut (logged off area), at least 250 to 300 yds from the road. We`d throw a deer hide over it and find a good place to sit off a ways and watch the trucks roll down the road, slam to a stop, doors fly open like it`s on fire inside, and guns blasting away at the drum. BOOM!-Clang!, BOOM- Clang! We watched one fool run uphill about 30 yards at a whack, stop and shoot, then run another 30 yards and shoot again. He was a real happy camper when he got close. We laughed ourselves sick.
LOLOL. We had to save all our deer hides because it did`nt seem like a good idea to go near the "Deer" again after we`d pissed off a bunch of roadhunting trailertrash with more beer than brains. LOLOL. One time a pickup came down the road, stopped, the fellow gets out, used REAL BINOS instead of his riflescope to evaluate the "Deer", and proceded to laugh til we thought he`d have apoplexy. His kind were good guys but rare as hens teeth.

Those sure were the days.

Ok, I started it off, lets hear it folks.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
A Different Wrinkle

Here in Southern, Ky our Fish & Wildlife Department has some "mechanical
deers" that they set up (they have ears & tails, and I think the head moves
also). There is a story about one older fellow after seeing the deer, drove
his pickup home, got his rifle, came back and shot the mechanical deer two
times. He got really upset when the arresting officers would not let him go
see where he hit the deer, not at the fact that he had just been arrested.
:D

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Not a fake deer, but...

A lotta years ago, went deer hunting with my brother and one of his buddies. We spent 3-4 days chasing around west of Kremmling, and had one measly doe to show for our efforts. The season was about over, and we gave up and drove back to Denver. Stopped in Frasier for dinner, and when we parked outside the bar/grill, a bunch of hunters gathered around 'admiring' the doe, I guess. They asked us excitedly where we shot her. Kenny spoke up, said we had run into a big herd just up the road and a couple miles east. The bar emptied out, most of the hunters left to search out our 'herd'. Needless to say, we gulped down our burgers and left in a hurry. I still get a chuckle thinking about it. There were, I imagine a bunch of po'd hunters running around that area.
Oh, the frivolity of youth. -West

·
Registered
40 Posts
Probably the "best" one that got pulled on any one was on a week long camp/hunt in the Ouachita forests/ It was the first hunt for one of the guys, and around Wednesday he took a nap from around 11 to 12:30 or so. A gouple of the older hunters doused themselves down, and it probably DID constitute a shower of sorts. But when the new hunter woke up he was told that he's just missed the "Shower Truck" - a road water truck that came around and let hunters take showers from the spout. I think it was 5 years later before we actually let him in on it.:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I only heard about this one, but thought it was good.
A freind of mine had made a dummy deer and fastened several sticks of dynamite in the boiler room. He had another friend out hunting at his ranch and they "located" the buck on a hill side. Bang-BOOM!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Years ago when I was a deputy for a small sheriffs department our county got a new conservation agent. He scheduled the mechanical deer for opening weekend. I found out where he was going to set it up and we (my hunting friend) went down the road. Stopped at the deer, my friend stuck his rifle out the window to scope the deer. Then we got out of the truck and each took a leak. I pulled a homemade sign out that said in large letters HI ED and made a large circle with the sign so they would get it on video. You could here the agents in the cover laughing when we pulled away. The new agent stopped us at the end of the road and basicly said that he would never be able to live it down with the rest of the conservation department. He was and still is a good friend of mine (and retired) but all you have to do to get him going is bring up the deer decoy.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
One year, we had a bunch of deer to dress and cut up, I think it was seven, all on opening morning. While some guys were hanging them up to skin and the rest, the others were boning meat and grinding it all up. My cousin Earl was wearing some very baggy coveralls,( so loose he couldn't feel anyone messing with his pockets). Another cousin, Chester, was skinning deer, and when Earl was otherwise preoccupied, Chester slipped a couple of deer nuts in Earl's hip pocket, right where Earl kept his hanky. You shoulda seen the look on Earl's face when he went to blow his nose, and got a handful of deer gonads! Priceless! We all laughed until we cried, I think, it was pretty funny.
Even funnier was Earl's revenge. He took those gonads and dropped one in each toe of Chester's Red Wing boots, when Chester went into the house to change his clothes for the trip back to Kansas. When Chester got back to KS, he just took his hunting boots and put them in the back of the closet, to wait another year. About May or June, Julie, Chester's wife, noticed a horrible odor coming from Chester's closet. The boots were ruined, of course, but it just made Chester laugh even harder, about the whole deal. Chester is a great one for practical jokes, even on himself. (and yes, those ARE their real names).

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Goldie

I'm not sure that this one fits, but what the heck. Years ago I had a neighbor that was a part of group of friends that duck hunted together. Neil was a great guy, his wife was nice also. She however did not want Neil bringing "dead things" to their house (unless they were from the market!). We were on him about it all the time!

So after a day of hunting Neil would clean up his ducks at my house and I would store them in the freezer. A bunch of us had been on a three day trip and got home late on a Sunday afternoon. The group had dinner at my place. Neil's wife came over to collect Neil. She showed her displeasure with one look as she surveyed the ducks we were cleaning up.

Neil went home. We continued our work and had a few beverages along the way.

One of us had shot a "spoonie", so we breasted it out. Then the fun began. We replaced the breasts with some paper and taped it back together as well as we could. Then the creative idea to enhance the look of our duck kicked in. We spray painted it gold. We then made up a sign that read "Local boys do good" and hung it around "Goldie's" neck. Late that evening we snuck over to Neil's place and tied "Goldie" to the front door knob.

Neil's wife worked in the City and left for work very early in the morning. In fact it was just about 5:15, when I was brought to a fully awake state, by a long, very high pitched scream. Followed by Neil's name being called over and over.

Neil had to admit (in private of course), that he thought it was pretty funny……Neil's wife, well let's just say she didn't wave to me when she passed the house for at least three months!

·
Registered
141 Posts
This does not rate as good as some of your pranks but it was fun. We had some city slickers with us in hunting camp and my brother-in-law and I would wait for them to go to their tent for the night and then use a deer foot to put tracks all over camp, especially around their tent and wait for them to get up the next day to see all the fresh tracks in camp. We never did tell them the truth.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts