Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a ranch to shoot PDs. NE Colorado; Western Nebr/Kans.
20-21-22 Jun. Group of 10 shooters/Military Vets . We are self contained. Have our own tables and gear. Many years of experience. NO - We do not pay Daily Fees.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
20-21-22 Jun. Group of 10 shooters/Military Vets . We are self contained. Have our own tables and gear. Many years of experience. NO - We do not pay Daily Fees.
So, just to clarify your request. You are looking for a property large enough and with enough dogs to satisfy 10 individuals for three days. You are fairly specific as to where you want this property to be. Are you saying you are unwilling to pay anything for this privilege or are you asking for one fixed cost for the entire bundle? Just asking.

Rick

·
Registered
651 Posts
You say you have many years of experience, self contained and your looking for ranch or some place where 10 hunters can shoot for three days.
I have hunted Prairie Dogs for many years dating way back to a time period that every place you went in prairie dog country was like that. 600-800 rounds a day was the norm. But 30 years ago the dogs were out of control. The plague hit them and agressive poisoning took a tremendous toll on the dog towns.
The ranching economy took a dive and the sport hunter became a viable source of income for the rancher as a result on private land is generally a “pay to play” requirement. There are a few ranchers that let hunters shoot for no fee. I doubt if you will get anyone give up there special spot to just anyone.
Your best bet is to contact the local BLM office and ask them for info for contacts and where the dog towns are.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Uhhhh

Been shooting p dogs for about 15 years. The only place I've ever shot for free was on property owned by members of my brother's church. They have all poisoned or gassed the critters. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
LOL Good luck...even if you head into Wyoming
Back in the day we had to travel to keep 5 guys shooting..unless you pay

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
CJ in Wy ;1104852 said:
LOL Good luck...even if you head into Wyoming
Back in the day we had to travel to keep 5 guys shooting..unless you pay

Yeah, the Wyoming PD populations have been absolutely devastated over the last 15-20 years with recurring infestations of the plague, which can eliminate entire counties. Several years ago the plague hit the Red Desert area of south-central Wyoming, killing off almost all the PD's from Rock Springs to the Sweetwater River. There are a few PD's starting to reappear, but I sure wouldn't plan on shooting very many in a day's time, one box of ammo will probably do you. :(

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
1st post. Unrealistic demands. Let us know how that works out for you. It's like saying we have 10 men who want a home cooked meal. For free. Who is inviting us over? Not me bucko! I am willing to bet he will find exactly nothing that fits his requirements, :mad:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I've spent the last 25 years cultivating and researching my prairie-dog shooting spots. No handouts, I had to go and do a lot of legwork to accumulate a decent amount of productive locations. Our good prairie-dog towns weren't hard to find.....but no one told me where they were......plenty of other folks shoot the same towns as us too......which means we're ready for some long range, skittish dogs....That's fine by me......I love the looonnnggg shots!

Good luck finding a spot to keep 10 guys shooting for 3 days......for free. If you're willing to pay I bet there are plenty of reputable guides out there who would be more than happy to check off every box on your request list. But I doubt you'll waltz in here and get anyone to give you GPS co-ordinates to their favorite prairie dog honey holes......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.