Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple of lbs. of Hodgon's H-4198 in older cans that have a kinda yellowish green label color and no where is it printed Extreme Powder on the label.Also, the powder looks different than the Extreme H-4198. Is anyone familar with the caracteristics of this powder? I use it in 20 Tac and 6x47mm (6mm/222 Rem. Mag.) mostly and was wondering if I can load to current H-4198 data and if I can expect the same results with my pet H-4198 loads.

Thanks,
Rodney

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, its the long grained stuff . It looks like the IMR-4198 except for the color. Actually I have two different lot numbers of it .1 1/2 lb. of it has a greyish tint to it and the other 1 lb. can has a darker color more like the IMR-4198. When it warms up a little I am going to do some testing with it over a chronograph and compare it with the SC Extreme H-4198 just for kicks. I have a 40x chambered in 20 Tac that just loves H-4198 and it would be perfect for my "test".

Rodney

·
Registered
365 Posts
The older style H4198 looks like longish chunks of fine pencil lead. A booger to dispense well, but good stuff nonetheless. (Try funneling some into the neck of a .17 Ackley Bee! Argghhh!) I just loaded up the last little bit I had of it this past weekend - a few practice rounds of Fireball.

It should match the ballistics of the current stuff, because the current stuff was crafted to match IT. However, as always, start low and work up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes thats a good way to describe it "looks like longish chucks of fine pencil lead" . I guess shooting what little bit of benchrest that I have has gotten me in the odd habit of perusing the selves of old hardware stores and gun shops seeing what older powders I can find . Hoping one day to run across a lifetime supply of "T" or something as hard to find. What burns me up though is to find an old can of powder that has the original price sticker on it covered up with the price increases of the last 20 years. Like from $4.49 all the way to the last price sticker of $21.00. Thats what gets my goat!

Rodney

·
Registered
365 Posts
They have to charge for storage, don't they? :rolleyes:

I know a store that still has an unbroken case of RL-12 in the powder storage room. (Or did the last time I was in there.) I keep almost convincing myself to go buy the lot. Almost...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know you need it.

I still have a 1/2 lb. of RL-12 that I use to load 20 30-30 cartridges every year for my son's deer rifle . I found a load using Rl-12 and a 150 gr. Sierra FB bullet that he can put three shots in one hole at 100 yds. with a 4x scope. So, he will not let me use it for anything else 'cause when its gone its gone !

Rodney

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.