Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After seeing Alan's nice wood I just had to post my pretty wood. I fished this 870 stock out of the trash can at work. It was very dark and had a few dings after being used on a service gun for a number of years. A lot of the old stocks had very nice wood on one side but plain on the other side. Others had a knot ruining an otherwise nice stock. This one must haved slipped through quality control. It was nice on both sides with no knots. I got a fairly nice forend as well.

I used oven cleaner to get most of the old finish off then sanded it smooth. Most of the old dings came out. A bunch of layers of Tru-oil and it finished up pretty good. Certainly better than the birch stock that it came with new.

Dale

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
that IS nice!

Real nice wood.

My old Savage 444 o/u is pretty, but not near as nice as your 870.

Sometimes you do get a nice factory stock. More often, I would say in the pre-90's guns.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I saw a stunner of a stock on an 870 Wingmaster (new) on my last trip to Whittaker's. If I'd had the coin, that whole shotgun would've been making the trip back to Louisville with me (I'm short a shotgun right now, and have been looking for a particular one). It would rival that nice one of Dale's, for sure, but not by much!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts