Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Dec. 21, I was in one of my favorite gun shops and bought a box of 500 lead bullets for my .45--- they were 230 grain lead round nose bullets, and the box of 500 cost $27.95. Nine days later on Dec. 30 I was in the same shop again, and the exact same box of bullets had skyrocketed to $39.95. If the price of lead keeps doing this, it may not be a very merry 2007 for us shooters who like to burn lots of powder.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also.......

I did not mean to throw a damper on New Year's Eve--- a great New Year to all those on this wonderful forum--- God Bless you all for a prosperous 2007!!!

·
Registered
12,885 Posts
hummmm

On Dec. 21, I was in one of my favorite gun shops and bought a box of 500 lead bullets for my .45--- they were 230 grain lead round nose bullets, and the box of 500 cost $27.95. Nine days later on Dec. 30 I was in the same shop again, and the exact same box of bullets had skyrocketed to $39.95. If the price of lead keeps doing this, it may not be a very merry 2007 for us shooters who like to burn lots of powder.
look at the price of copper !!! J4 jackets are way up...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out the price of SHOT!!!

Both myself and better half are skeet shooters, with both of us shooting, a bag of shot seems to fly out the door...

A bag of #9's that I was paying 12.00 - 13.00 a bag for are now going in the 26.00 and higher range!

I came across some for 19.00 a bag the other day, and filled the back of the truck. Thought I was getting a steal...

Our club just got in an order, and dealer cost was 26.50 a bag... :eek:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The manufacturers raise the price, say it's because of the cost of material, or blame it on the war or because everything is going to China. Sorta like gasoline & diesel. I think they do it because they can get away with it and all we'll do is holler and keep right on buying because we have to have it. When varmint bullets start costing $20+/100, pretty soon some hunters will quit. Looks like the bullet Industry is doing what the politicians had wanted to do to get to us. They are pushing the "bullet cost" envelope and just might cut their own throats in the long run by making it impossible for a lot of us to afford to do what we love to do! Godsdog.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The manufacturers raise the price, say it's because of the cost of material, or blame it on the war or because everything is going to China. Sorta like gasoline & diesel. I think they do it because they can get away with it and all we'll do is holler and keep right on buying because we have to have it. When varmint bullets start costing $20+/100, pretty soon some hunters will quit. Looks like the bullet Industry is doing what the politicians had wanted to do to get to us. They are pushing the "bullet cost" envelope and just might cut their own throats in the long run by making it impossible for a lot of us to afford to do what we love to do! Godsdog.

As the manager of a Production Machine Shop and the person who orders all the raw materials, I would like to inform everyone it is not just the bullet industry.

The price or Copper Alloys has jumped thru the roof across the board.

We have seen as much as a 4x increase in some alloys. And this is raw barstock, we are talking about. Unmachined material.

So it not just the bullet industry and to be honest, I am surprised it took this long for the increases to happen.

Godsdog, I'm not picking on you, it just your comments were handy and I've heard them before. :)

We tend to forget that what might be a minor incident or problem can create an increase in production costs which in turn transfers that cost through the customer chain to the end user. We have been forced to increase our prices on parts made from Copper Alloys and also on parts from Stainless Steel Alloys. Remember that when you see an increase in the price of stainless steel rifle components or complete rifles. The reason for this increase is the lack of nickle.

I have been given many different explainations as too why the increases are occurring. A couple years ago, the price of steel jumped do the an increase in the cost of Molybedeum. Copper Alloys can increase in cost due to even the slightest increase in the cost of any of their chemical properties. And we must remember that we have to import some of those chemicals (metals) from overseas as they are not natural in this country.

I know this is not comforting, but it is the way it is. No manufactor can absorb material costs without going broke. I has to be passed onto the customers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Guess for lead pistol/mg fooder, we will have to get out the old lead pot and resizer after visiting our friendly Goodyear Dealer who give me all the lead tire weights that I want. Old Doug in GA

·
Registered
358 Posts
I work for the local power company here in Michigan.In the last year we have been broke into at least 4 times,they took 4 spools of copper wire weighing at least 1300 lbs a piece,they cut our fence and drug it out with a truck or 4 wheeler.I think it will get worse sorry to say.I have been stocking up on ammo in the last year or so since i don,t reload,the prices have gone crazy.:eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
A couople of years ago, scrap lead was going for about .10/lb. I just paid .50/lb for wheelweights at a scrap dealer. Soft lead was going for .65/lb. I am finding it harder to get free wheelweights at the tire shops.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Out here the construction sites are getting ripped off of their copper wire. It's becoming so bad last week a guy tried to rip off copper wire from an abandoned building. The news report said when he tried to cut some wire it knocked out electricity for a whole block. All they found were some bolt cutters and a singed beanie!!! Bet he doesn't try that one again.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
You know, it's not like all the bullet producers get together and decide to raise their prices. If one did that, the others will just pick up the slack. When they all do it, it's a pretty good indication that their raw material prices have increased. If the bullet industry doesn't paas the costs on to the comsumer, they won't be in business very long. Cost increases are a fact of life, deal with it.

Rick

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Yep! Saw that happen to Nosler a few years back!

You know, it's not like all the bullet producers get together and decide to raise their prices. If one did that, the others will just pick up the slack. When they all do it, it's a pretty good indication that their raw material prices have increased. If the bullet industry doesn't paas the costs on to the comsumer, they won't be in business very long. Cost increases are a fact of life, deal with it.

Rick
Talk about bad timing for getting one's thumbs stuck under their armpits!!

It's been almost 10 years ago, give or take, that Nosler joined forces w/ Winchester to come up w/ their "Combined Technology Bullets"...Remember that? It was in the late winter/early spring - 1997?? - when lots of folks are loading up for PD safaris and GHs. Nosler had been riding on the new upsurge of varmint shooting which was catching fire back then, and their BT were flying off the shelf. (I guess they thought their product walked on water!) SO...One day I went into my favorite store and a box of 100 .224 50BTs had gone from $13 (high for the time as it was:eek: ) to $17.50 and later $18+!

As it happens, that was the time Hornandy was introducing their excellent V-Max for almost 1/2 the cost of Nosler's BTs. Suddenly the tide of buyers for the BTs got the word about the V-Maxes (favorable gun rag write-ups) and the tide ran out the door to the Hornandy store almost over night, leaving Nosler holding a paper tiger (and a LOT of PO'ed FORMER customers (like me) now only buy their BT stuff when there is no other choice).

It only took about 6 mos and the price of the BTs had fallen to below where they were before they got so proud of their bullets. But, thanks to their shenanigans they couldn't have given Hornandy a better leg up at the critical moment in the launch of a new product - the V-Max - and the Nosler BT has been running second place ever since...and the rest is history!

Nosler made a fine bullet, but got they got greedy. Others could make a fine bullet as well, and w/o material cost to back them up, they priced themselves right out of the market for a time - when the competition was just bringing their new product to the market. Talk about bad timing and shooting yourself in the foot!!!

Supply and demand. We wanted other nations of the world to become developed, and now the genie is out of the bottle, and I don't see much chance of it being put back in, anytime soon! Just when you introduce me to "drive buy" shooting in PD patches...I guess we're just gonna have to become better shots!;)

P.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cost increases are a fact of life, deal with it.

Rick
I agree and understand that cost increases are a fact of life, but a 43% jump in 9 days seems a little alarming, if not downright scary. The part that concerns me is this: one of the most effective ways to weaken the shooting sports industry and the second amendment is for it to get to the point that the majority can no longer afford to shoot. That is the part that worries me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree and understand that cost increases are a fact of life, but a 43% jump in 9 days seems a little alarming, if not downright scary. The part that concerns me is this: one of the most effective ways to weaken the shooting sports industry and the second amendment is for it to get to the point that the majority can no longer afford to shoot. That is the part that worries me.
Kentucky Shooter, As I said in my previous posting, raw materials have been going up for months. The shooting industry has finally caught up and while 43% seems drastic, try buying raw materials to make parts for industry when the material has jumped as much as 400%.

A Brass alloy we once bought for around $1.85 a pound per bar weight has jumped to nearly $9.00 a pound. And this is not a domestic grade alloy, but an import which meets both chemical and physical specifications. I'd hate to quote Domestic milled Brass considering it has always been a minimum of twice that of import.

I hate the fact that reloading components have jumped to the current prices, but it is the market itself driving it prices, not some Left Wing Conspiracy. Our customers are having to spread out their bids to find better prices and some of this has to go overseas due to labor costs.

This is not comforting, but hopefully, prices may come down. About 4 years ago we did just over a 100% increase in Copper Alloy prices, but they did come down after several months. Not back to their original base, but well over a 50% decrease in the original increase.

Only time will tell.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Guys this has never been a thrifty hobby

In fact I've never had a hobby that didn't cost 10x more than I expected to pay when getting into it.:confused:

If you put this into perspective pass on the Luepold and get a Bushnell, every bit as good, and at half the price you have enough left over to buy all the components for 2 years of Pairie Dog Safaris.

Buy a Savage instead of a Cooper :eek: and your set for awhile, and dead is dead.

While I enjoy a good B!tch Session as much as anyone: :D I won't quit reloading or shooting because of the price of gas or components and if it gets way out of hand I'll sell a safe queen or two so I can continue, AND so will most of you.

Have a Very Happy New Year and shoot til it hurts.

Rick

·
Registered
49 Posts
500 bullets at 230 grains, that's a little over 16 lbs of lead, at $1.00 per lb (commodity price of lead is about $0.80/lb). So $16 of that box of bullets is raw material. Three years ago, lead cost less than $0.30 per lb, and the raw material would have been $5.00

There have been several price increases in the meantime, to be sure. This outfit seems to have taken the opportunity to use the materials cost to put through a price increase.

Can't say I blame him, though. Just did the same thing myself. FWIW, Dutch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sierra up also

Was informed yesterday by shooting buddy, Sierra took a 30% hike in match bullets. Don't know for sure but he has had the right info before.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Things could be worse, you could be hooked on golf!!:eek: My wife is an avid golfer and I can assure you that you DONT have an expensive hobby!!:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts