Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at Sportsman's in Az this last weekend I needed some large rifle, large pistol and small pistol magnum primers. I got the large rifle primers OK, they were out of the small pistol mag primers and I screwed up and grabbed large pistol magnum instead of the regular large pistol. None of my reloading manuals show these primers for any of the cartridges I load for, .45 ACP and .44 Mag. What's a fellow to do? Do I eat the mistake and get the right ones? Or, can I use these for my cartridges???

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
You can use them; some powders like W296 and H110 in the .44 Mag should actually specify them. If your manuals don't list them then reduce your loads by 10-15% and work back up; same as you SHOULD do when changing any component.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Chuck, I tried the CCI Mag in my 45 ACP......

Groups really went to pot compared to the Federal large pistol primers. I would go back and see if they will exchange them or buy the standard primers for your 44 Mag.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Every pistol or rifle is different, what works for one might...or might not work for another, so generalizations are really a shot in the dark, try them, you might like them! ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help

Thanks to all who replied. This is the place to come for good info.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
FWIW, I'm using the Winchester large magnum pistol primers in my 45acp ammo. Works good enough to shoot under an inch at 25 yards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts