Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
out of the closet today. Mike Bryant build Rem 700 6.5 STW. Fired off a couple of rounds and cleaned it, Now we have a problem. No more H5010 powder and it's been discontinued,,,,well there is about 1/4 # left in jug, but not enough to carry on with project.
Is there any other people on here that likes barrel burners...LOL? it has a lot of life left in it (probably less than 50 rounds down the tube). Anyone have any recipes for a 6.5 STW. it's a 9 twist. so probably stick with 120-140 grain bullets.
I really needed this....only have 5 different 6.5 caliber rifles. And son has two new 6.5 caliber rifles. That makes 7....and their all different cartridges.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Also a 6.5 fan but failed to get a 6.5wsm or a few 6.5-284s to shoot worth a darn. The Sweedes and Grendels have been treating me very well and a LOT cheaper to shoot not to mention easier on the shoulder.
Years past found me chasing velocity but have lost interest in missing real fast.
A quick search turned up a little info

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/6-5-stw-load-data-needed-please.79216/

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CJ....that's what I was looking for and just hadn't found that one. I loaded up 5 rounds with the 130 Nosler Accubond this afternoon with 80 grains of H1000. I plan on trying them out when the wind lays a little. One for pressure and 4 for group. Will work up from there if no pressure signs...or down if necessary ….LOL
How's the prairie dog population doing in your area?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Have always had better luck with Retumbo myself, could probably reload everything I own with Tac,H414 and Retumbo
Dog population have been worse....not real sure as I havnt been outside the city limits since the chains sheared the brake lines off the duelly on holloween....ended up eating a poor choice deer tag.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't tried Retumbo (maybe need to). Just trying to use up abundant supplies of Varget, H4350, H1000, H4831sc, and 2015. LOL
At my age, buying quantity of powder is kind of like buying green bananas.:D

·
Administrator
11,616 Posts
Can't help with your barrel burner but the 143 ELDX is an awesome bullet in my kid's 6.5 Creedmoor. Great performance on an antelope doe in Oct at 350. Super accurate. A guy at the range turned me onto them. Was shooting sub-MOA at 800 out of his 700 custom in 6.5 Creedmoor.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
"You can't miss 'em fast enough..."

Years past found me chasing velocity but have lost interest in missing real fast.
]
TOTALLY agree, CJ!

One of Wyatt Earp's quotes rings true: "Speed is good. But, accuracy is final!" Course the "speed" he was referring to wasn't exactly bullet speed, but the 'accuracy' part is true enough in either case!:D

And, an acquaintance I was discussing calibers and loads with on a PD hunt uttered a piece of clarity that I memorialized(?) in my "Quotable quotes" in my signature (below): "You can't miss 'em fast enough to kill 'em!"

That quip REALLY puts a cherry on top of so many velocity discussions!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree with that quote, and I've used it many times myself. However being that Mike Bryant built it and I've shot it enough to know that with the old load of H5010, I know it will stack 3 touching at 100 yards (if I do my part), I just got to work up another load....:D
Kinda like a little speed once in a while. And besides I took my first (and only) bear with it in Idaho and asst. deer and coyotes,
And Charlie, I've used that bullet (143's) before in one of my 260"s and it is very accurate….It's probably the one I will try next (tried it in my 264 Win mag and it didn't like it at all). But then the only bullets I could get to group in the old 264 are the 85 and 100 grain Sierra's. Probably a twist issue...LOL

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
You might try N570.

Works really well in my buddies 26 Nosler.

·
Registered
488 Posts
powders

I recently did some load development for a fella in 26 Nosler and 143g ELD's case capacity should be similar. I used both VV 20N29 and RL- 33 with pretty good results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts