Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get an airline approved rifle case that will first and foremost protect my rifle/scope, and secondly won't cost as much as the plane ticket. I know, generally speaking, you get what you pay for. However, some times there are exceptions. Are there any deals to be had in the gun case industry?
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have used quite a few and the ones I have used are all great. My favorite is the Pelican followed by Starlight cases. The only drawback to the Pelican or Starlight is that they are primarliy a single scoped rifle case. I have pressed them into service as doubles, but that is really packing them in pretty tightly.
I recently started using SKB multi rifle cases and they have a new 4 scoped rifle case I may purchase from Mid-South for this summer's prairie dog trip. Having one rifle case that holds 4 scoped rifles would be a terrific advantage for me.
I am also happy with the light weight and ruggedness of the SKB.
You should have a look
Ken

·
Registered
462 Posts
Second The Airglide

DG,

I second the Airglide, by design it appears to be impossible to damage either the rifle or scope. I know baggage handlers can be tough, But the Rifle, Barrel & Scope float away from the sides and are strapped in place. The price is definately right.

Also recently saw a one setup to carry 2 rifles but haven't tried it yet. I have a picture of one if your interested

Rick

·
Registered
411 Posts
browning gun vault

wheels, can be vacuum sealed with a knob on the side and a handle to pull in the airport. has locks and also will hold 2 rifles with scopes in 1 case. I think about 200.00 or so look around or try ebay or cabelas or bass pro.

·
Registered
162 Posts
SKB Double Rifle Case 50"

The SKB double rifle case carries two 26" scoped Varmint rifles easily for air travel. The case can be ordered from Midway. They nest together for storage and car travel and have rollers. They are not cheap, but you will have firearms in great shape at you destination. They are tough.

I also use my 4 to transport belt-fed mgs to Knob Creek. Maxim and Vickers fit great.

Only complaint, they are not waterproof.

Old Doug

·
Registered
928 Posts
Browning travel vault. Takes a licking and rifles keep on ticking.

The Browning Travel Vault is a Pelican Rifle Case with Browning markings. Generally the Pelican can be had for less money than the marked up Browning. Still a great case, my favorite but I don't see the need to pay more than necessary to own one.
Ken

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have 4 SKB cases that I have used for the past several years without any issues to guns or cases.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts