Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FB, I fully agree with you about the proposed quarry, it isn't worth it. I have talked to the two guys that want to do it and to start with I don't like either one. It would be in the back area of our property that we don't use but... I told them if we did agree to give them a lease everything would have to be done through our DEC and in NYS they are SOB to deal with if you do something wrong. Two sticking points, one they have to put up a bond that the land will be reclaimed if and when they leave and I told them I wanted in our lease if we agreed to give them that as soon as they moved out the land would be reclaimed. They didn't like that and said that wasn't needed as they would have to do it to get the bond back, I told them I didn't care that is the way I would want it. The second one is our property would be adjoining the property of another quarry they are going to be working and they only want to get one permit for both. They said it would cost them $6500 more to have two separate permits and don't want to do it. I said to them how would we know if we are getting paid for all the stone that is taken out of our property. Oh we have a system setup where we keep track of what comes out of where and you can trust us. I told them with all due respect I don't know you and I don't trust anyone and if we don't have a separate permit there would be no way we ever agree to a lease.

We have a club meeting May 5th where they are to come and present their proposal, leave and we will discuss it under new business. Right now I and two other officers are set against it and our President who is like the Queen of England (A figure head), I pretty much do everything and run the club says I am on the fence as I have some concerns. That means he wants to see how everyone feels and vote with the majority to make himself look good. Myself I don't care if I look good or not, I do what I feel is the best for the club always.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I don't see any Upside in this for your club
Yes, the club will get some money, but do y'all need the aggravation the extra income would bring? What do you REALLY NEED the money for anyway?
As for the payments, of course they will screw you over. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
George, I see the same red flags that you are seeing. I agree with JR, if the club doesn't need the money I would pass. Good Luck to your club in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'll have to agree with the rest, we, my three cousins and two sisters, own a gravel pit which was my Grandmothers. We lease it out and about all we get out of it is headaches. I got "elected" to run the show. Seems no matter what the lease says I always have to call the guy and remined him when the quarterly reports are due and also the payments. Like I said we don't get enough out of it to have any "fun" money to spend. Good Luck!
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
The most knowing and best known man for this thread would be Bill Brawand, benchrest shooter from Pennsylvania. Bill owns a lot of property and a lot of Black Angus cattle. At last count he also has 32 operating teeter totters on top of oil wells. The oil company has a tanker there every day to draw off the full tanks. He was approached by a mining outfit that wanted to open a gravel pit on his property. He could keep all the cattle and graving land and all the oil wells. He said he laughed as he read the contract and told the guy to get (expletive) off his property. He said they were paying him little and with the loop holes they would pay him even less. Mining companies are in business to make money. And they buy the lease to make money at today’s prices. What is that gravel worth a few years down the line and they are still digging?

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
I will pile on as well. I was mulling your club's option while swaging epic piles of 223, yday, a la Skruske....boocoo piles.
The same thought occurred to me. If the club is healthy financially, why sign on for the aggravation?
Annnd as has been said: Know that the "count" will be light. Especially since you have "crossed" them in the preliminary negotiations. Ya done bruised their egos and macho and who knows what else. Jmo :)

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
You can always put a scale in there, weigh ‘em in and weigh ‘me out, and volunteers from the club would keep count for the club.
Jewish accountant test question and answer.
”How much is two plus two?”
“How much do you want it to be?”

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
You can always put a scale in there, weigh ‘em in and weigh ‘me out, and volunteers from the club would keep count for the club.
Jewish accountant test question and answer.
”How much is two plus two?”
“How much do you want it to be?”
We have a scale on our pit, but whose to say all the trucks go across the scale?!!! As it is we've leased to this guy four years on a ten year lease, at least we get enough to pay the property taxes!
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Good one FB.....I'd not heard that one.

·
Administrator
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We are a small club but we are doing ok, I signed up ten new members this month. We are doing well financially with a surplus each year that is more than enough to cover the expenses for the next year. There are six officers, I am well liked by the members and they always come to me if there is a problem or something needs to done. Three officers myself included are against the lease without hearing the proposal so I feel it will be a no go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts