Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The text size for subjects and the actual message text size also look fine, but do all the menus and other things have to be so very tiny?

My eyes are really strained viewing them. Of course, my eyes are not what they used to be, but I believe we do have a lot of other older members here too. Does the forum software even allow you to adjust the text sizes for those parts of the board?? Or do you only have control over the formatting of other areas?

This format just looks odd to me. I guess I got used to the old board's format, where the menus and other options were the same size text as the subjects and message bodies. To me, that looks better.

Anyway, that is my opinion, for what it is worth.

Lance in Oregon

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not a flame Lance,

but you may need glasses. The new forum is similar to many others I frequent, and the sizes are the same. I use 2.25 reading glasses, but I view forums without them.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm afraid that I really don't need to order glasses, as

I just got my prescription updated 6 months ago.

The fact remains that the menus and all other items look so tiny compared to the message threads. Perhaps this is the default setting that forum software has these days. But it certainly looks odd and disproportionate to me.

My question remains as to whether the forum software allows for this font size to be adjusted or not? Only Mike or John can answer that. Would you have any objection to increasing the font size a little, if it can be easily done?

Lance in Oregon ( with glasses on )

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S. -- I'm just trying to provide a constructive suggestion

as to how I think the board could be improved. So far, I have yet to see anyone else come up with some ideas for Mike and John on what could be done to improve it.

Even a slight increase in the font size would be welcome. But again, this is only my opinion. And I known for being an opinionated SOB.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Lance, I dont see anything in the FAQ or Quick Links that refers to text or font size. Maybe Mike can shed light. Would be a nice option.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
ROF and LMAO!!!

And who said a picture is worth a thousand words....? Those are 28 words that paint a pretty good picture....

-BCB

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lmao

That's great John. :) Lance, I saw something that you can look at in your profile CP. It was about text size, but can't remember exactly what it said. Take a look there. Don

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, there is no such option in the Control Panel Don

Don (Gapmaster): No, both myself and Don (Longrange Supply) have looked, and there does not appear to be any such option.

The only thing that I can see is that you can control the size of your message text, as John did in his message. Again, the message text area is fine, and easy to read.

Don ( Longrange Supply ) and Crowmaster: Thanks for adding your support for asking if this is an issue that can be addressed.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
505 Posts
Using Firefox

I have found that if you increase text size under View all TEXT will enlarge.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Lance

John has already bumped it up one size, and larger won't offend me. As to recommending changes to the site, it is only temporary, so we just need to go with the flow for awhile.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
should work

You have to change several settings if I remember correctly. Set text size and somewhere I had a setting change so that my settings overrode forum defaults. I did this years ago and don't remember details. I am having no trouble at all with reading everything.

Hu

Lance, if you are using IE, see if changing the text size in IE (under the "View" menu) will help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For anyone using Firefox, if you want your text larger, hold down your control key and hit your + key.

aro

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your suggestions Aro and Hu

Aro:

Your tip about pressing "Control +" together works just great with FireFox! Only thing is that it increases the message text also, which I did not need to be increased. But that sure is a great feature to have in FireFox, and thanks for sharing it with everyone here.

Hu:

I imagine it is possible to make similar changes with MSIE like you can with FireFox. However, so far, no one has been able to state specifically how this can be done. Just going to the VIEW menu and changing the text size there ( as another person recommended ) has no effect. I also looked under Advanced Options, and saw nothing there to help either. So however it can be done, it does not appear to be easy to change.

John did bump the default font size on the menus and other text up one size, and that has pretty much done the trick for me. It was just enough of an increase that I no longer have to strain my eyes. :)

I do have serious vision problems. I am legally blind without my glasses on, but can see quite well with my glasses. Before these new high tech thin plastic lenses came out, I used to have to wear horribly thick glass lenses when I was young. But with the new high tech lenses, I can now wear glasses that look normal, and are not heavy. It sure costs a lot more, but it is well worth the money, as it makes my glasses look and feel normal.

I always have to be careful when I take my glasses off, and make sure I know where I put them. I have had a few cases in the past when I've forgotten where I put my glasses, and then have to spend an hour or so searching for them in my place. Anything beyond a couple of feet is just a fuzzy blur to me. And thin items like glasses just melt right into the background. It is a pretty humbling experience, to feel so helpless.

it is amazing how good I can shoot, considering the condition of my eyes. Of course, with rifles, having a good scope pretty much eliminates the need to have perfect vision. But even with a shotgun, I can outshoot many younger men with 20/20 vision.

It is really disgraceful that some other people here in this thread have found my vision problems to be something worthy of laughing at. Makes you wonder about the kind of person they are down deep inside, to make fun of a person's disability. But we have really good folks here in this forum for the most part.

Anyway, thanks for your input also and attempt to help out.

Lance in Orygun

1 - 16 of 16 Posts