Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 year old daughter is right handed but appears to be left eye dominent.

So, should she shoulder the rifle on the bench with her right side or left?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Two trains of thought on that...

First is too shoot her left handed. But being right handed she will find it very awkward at first.

Second, is to get her an eyepatch for the left eye. Shoot her right handed. This forces the right eye to compensate.

The biggest factor in both situations will be practice. Practice, then more practice.

I'm sure someone else will have a different idea, and probably a better one, but these are the only things I know of at this time.

Wish her luck.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Teach them young to use dominant eye

I've got a left handed Savage I baught a few years ago for teaching the Nephews to shoot left handed.Now @ 13 my daughter is useing the same left handed Savage to learn to shoot.Ya se the whole family is right handed-left eye dominant.Dad,Brother,Sister and I found out to late to do us any good but the next generation has all learned to shoot left handed.
If I'm shooting from the bench or prone on the ground I'll switch to left handed but have never masterd the art of wing shooting or off hand shooting with my left.
Teach her to shoot left handed,its a lot easier in the long run than fighting your dominant eye!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've always been right-handed,left-eye dominant. I never realized that was a problem. I shoot everything right-handed, but use my left eye when aiming pistols. I've handled lefty guns and found them awkward. I'd teach her to shoot right just so she don't have to have "special" guns.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I, too, am right-handed and left eye dominate. I think a scoped gun allows a person to shoot straight right handed. However, I'm like the other guy, I shoot right handed with a pistol, but shift it over a bit and use my left eye for clarity. Anybody want to straigten me out?

·
Registered
67 Posts
shooting rifles from a bench really doesn't matter, but, I would work with her on the left side if you ever think she will use a shotgun. I've always shot lefty with standard guns, some shotguns are stocked for right hand shooters, Ruger being one that was noticable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.