Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Question for you bird watchers

845 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  llg 
#1 ·
Driving the interstate in a rural wooded area. I spotted a raptor profiled bird that was high in a roadside tree waiting for squirrel ala' Buick. I was a rather bright white and had lateral stripes (3 or 4) on it sides. It was 16 to 18 in height and a rather full body. It was the middle of the afternoon. This is the best I can see at 75 MPH.

I frequently see birds of prey waiting for an easy meal at the roadside trees, but nothing this distinct.

Any idea what it might be?

#3 ·
The 75 mph thing may have a lot to do with it. I'm guessing the bright white was the chest and belly, which, in the sun, stands out. Also, this will depend on the angle. I will make the call a Red Tail Hawk. The size is right. They are everywhere in the country in all seasons. The hunting location high in the tree fits. Red tails have a belly band, more distinct in some birds than others and can give the impression of lateral stripes. Without a pic, that would be my (and my wife's) best guess.

Rick

#5 ·
Rick, you are talking sun in Erie this time of year? It is harder to find than chicken lips.

I get a kick out of the raptors that stalk the interstate for a meal. They are pretty prevalent around here.

Teh blue ones seem to be a Wal-Mart specie.

#6 ·
I get where you are coming from. Actually, it is much the same in Middle TN. I should have said glare rather than sunshine, but my opinion would still be a Red tail. The Blue ones feeding near the interstate could well be Merlins.

Rick

#10 ·
In Kentucky

I too would guess Red Tailed Hawk or a Coopers Hawk. The Red Tailed has a reddish brown tail about 6" long that they flare out when slowing decent in attack mode. The Coopers Hawk tail is barely visible and runs to a point.

Both have white bellies and are very easily spotted sitting in a tree sunning.

Several years ago, maybe 35, someone killed about 20 red tailed hawks and hung them across a road about 20' high. It was a senseless waste. Fish and Game had a major fit, but never found out who did it. Hard to find Red Tails now; Coopers are more common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.