Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the story, on a regular basis at the local shooting range police and border patrol, state police, etc. will park at the rifle range in front of the 100 yard target boards to shoot to qualify or practice to qual. They are in street clothes and in private vehicles. When asked to move to the firing line they identify as police and refuse to move.

Do you view them as not being professionally trained in safe firearms handeling (yahoo's) ?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here is the story, on a regular basis at the local shooting range police and border patrol, state police, etc. will park at the rifle range in front of the 100 yard target boards to shoot to qualify or practice to qual. They are in street clothes and in private vehicles. When asked to move to the firing line they identify as police and refuse to move.

Do you view them as not being professionally trained in safe firearms handeling (yahoo's) ?
Arrogant yahoos

·
Registered
519 Posts
May I

assume that this is a public range? If so, I would invite them to move their badge toting, bad mannered asses off the range or learn to duck. Well maybe that's a bit harsh, but surely there is someone that has the juice to put a stop to this. You could remind them that, in most municipalities, unless they are performing an official duty, they have no more rights than do you.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Public Range?

Ours has a dive to access to the targets. But it is blocked and for maintance access only. Our range is closed to the public on Monday and Tuesday that is when the Police etc. make arrangements to use the facility. Sounds to me like those rud people need to be put on a short string and ask to leave if they don't change their ways. Sounds like your Range Master must be part of the problem. Like Jim B says why aren't they following the rules. On my range any variance from the rules and you leave ASAP.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Public or private, it doesn't really matter, ranges have rules. If it is one of the rules that you must shoot from behind the firing line then it must be enforced. If they refuse to comply, get their badge number and contact their commanding officers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yet one more reason for me to not give police the benefit of the doubt. I have a tendency to trust most everybody till they prove themselves untrustworthy. Law enforcments officers do not get that benefit from me. They must prove themselves first.

My apoligees to LEO here on the board but I can't police the LEO so you must

·
Registered
71 Posts
lack of range manners

I was one of them years ago....it would be better to contact the Mayor if they are policemen, the Sheriff if they are sheriff deputies, or the Governor if they are State Police. Don't threaten them, just a letter to the above office stating how bad their range manners are and how unsafe their actions are. Go to the top to start with and save time. They are ARROGANT. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Having the same trouble at our local range.

The Sheriff's dept. and Highway patrol are very good with range use, it's the police when off duty use the 100 yard rifle range instead of the handgun range. They drive down and park in front of the 100 yard target and shoot handguns at the rifle target, making the rifle shooters wait till they are done to shoot.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Who controls the range? What are the range rules? Make it the job of the controlling authority to enforce the rules.

If it is a public range then there should be set hours for open shooting and set hours for reserved private use. If it's a private or club range then the people controling the range should make set police training times. If it is an uncontroled range then the normal first come first served rules apply unless there are set range rules to which everyone should comply unless they have a written exemption.

If it is an uncontroled range you will either have to put up with it or find someplace else to shoot.

I saw nothing in the initial post indicating arrogance. They have to be there as part of their job. Put yourself in their place. You are someplace doing something job related. Somebody else doesn't like it. What do you do? You identify yourself and state your business and carry on. If there is a problem it is with the controling authority for the range and the range rules.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Get their Badge Numbers and file formal reports !

Just joking about the Formal Report, that's a pretty serious matter for them to deal with. Nonetheless, if warranted, still an option.

However, IF they're truly being that damn arrogant then the community don't need them! I've got a couple KSP Troopers in my family (one now retired after 30yrs), also my old Varmint Shoot'n buddy who is a retarted (I meant retired) LEO, and not a single one of them would ever conduct themselves in that manner. Now if the range is closed or reserved solely for their purpose that's an entirely different situation. (Bear in mind these fellows may have been up and out all night long putting up with crap, and having to qualify instead of sleeping.) But based on your post, kinda sounds like a bad case of smartass nonsense and they just need a little attitude adjustment.

Are you the only one who has this problem? Have you contacted one or more club/range officials? Next time, take a couple reliable witnesses. Just make sure YOUR conduct is in the best taste. IF you turly have as much right as they to use the range during the period of time in question, then if you don't stop their BS it'll probably go on forever. Bare in mind- "YOU CATCH MORE FLIES WITH HONEY THAN VINEGAR"

It'll be most interesting to read the reccommendations from the LEO's on this board on just how you should respond.

With that said, bare in mind that I have absolutely NO legal experience, none whatsoever; BUT I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

I say, "BAILIFF, WACK THEIR PEE PEE !"

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think you DO make the formal report. If you do not get it documented you are only setting yourself up for retaliation. They get you license plates or names from a range sign in sheet etc. You already know the level of individual you are dealing with. Obvious sence of entitlement. Make it formal or let it go.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Every range that I have been involved with .......

that graciously let the local police, sheriffs, FBI, and ATF use the range ended up in a pissing match with them, every time. They want everything free and special rules that change with the wind.

They get their foot in the door and want to take over. For some unknown reason, the rules just does not apply to them!

The local boys can be part of the crowd, but if you want to really screw up your range, invite the feds in...you are lower than Whale $hit, and Whale $hit is on the bottom of the ocean!

I think that it is a crying shame when you can not even help out the cops without getting screwed, they could at least bring the vasoline!

·
Registered
67 Posts
at our club the police do get to schedule the range for training and practice, it is closed to members on those days, i would set up my video camera aimed down range, go and talk to them, making gestures as to where they should shoot from, and show it to the range officer. Or, just ask them to move as you staple your 100yd targets up on their cars.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

Found that the range is run by the city parks department and spoke with the man in charge. He has had reports of the police blocking the range when they have not reserved it like they should. He said he has personally experienced the same thing I did, but was not aware it was still going on. He was not happy at all so I would hope to see some change, we talked about signs at the firing line and gates to block cars from entering beyond the firing line. I got the feeling he has had some very bad history with the PD so the suggestion to contact the Mayor will be put into motion.

Thanks for the feedback !!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If I was to say what I think about our fine police officers at the range, I would be bared from this forum. And I agree with Kim and jim b . And you have a poor range officials.
Art

PS: Ever ride in a car with a policeman off duty? I have a brother-in-law that is a policeman and if you did you never would again .

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Im a little late on this but..........

Pat, Im having trouble understanding what it is they are doing......... You state "they will park at the rifle range in front of the 100 yard target boards to shoot to qualify or practice to qual. They are in street clothes and in private vehicles. When asked to move to the firing line they identify as police and refuse to move.

They are parking in FRONT of the target boards? At any range Ive been to, the parking lot is no where near downrange. :)

They shoot to qualify or practice to qual? .Does this mean handguns at 25 or 50 yds?? So the handgun range is not part of the rifle range? I think you are saying they are tying up the 100 yard rifle range, from the public, to shoot handguns at 25 yds?

Ok, one more thing, since I am dense....When asked to move to the firing line? Where were they when you asked them to move TO the firing line? Behind it? In front of it? Both are unacceptable, obviously.

My guess is they are parking halfway or 3/4 the way downrange from the firing line, and shooting at what would be the 100 yd targets, only their distance is 25 yds now that they have driven in, and parked down there?

Anyway, looks like you got the answer, and that is whats important! good luck on it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why am I not surprised?

Arrogance comes in all flavors and sometimes wears a badge. Sometimes drives a mail delivery car, sometimes a gas station attendant. Or cops have their own range at the dump, but it`s pistols only. So they come to me to use the range we built up in the hills on 160 acres (private). They somehow are a lot more humble when using our private range.

The first time they came up to shoot their Bushies, they were jamming and/or not hitting paper. Rather than laugh at them (temptation was painful) I showed them how to gut one and clean it properly. Then how to sight it in with one shot.

These guys are nice enough but it really bothers me that they have SO LITTLE understanding about guns, how they work, and how to shoot. Frankly, I`m way better off if they DO NOT come to my rescue in a bank robbery.

You really see the arrogance melt when you use their Bushy and hit 10 randomly placed clays at 100 yards in as many seconds.
We don`t pick on them too bad and they always are nice when they stop us in their patrol car for .... well, whatever. What goes around comes around.

I recently invited the Coast Guard up and they now use it too. Very cool to see the guns they bring up. Sometimes they bring extra ammo for the rangemaster to use in the toys they bring.

What you have going on there is real low class trailer trash people using a badge to get away with being a-holes

·
Registered
27 Posts
is there more to the story?

I have to always remind myself there is another side of the story.

I am surprised of the majority of replies here that want to put the bad brand on leo.

You can start at the top and know that one of the first and foremost reasons for a municipality to put up a public gun range is for their leo to practise and qualify there. The public usually goes second.

#2, most handgun ranges do not have 25 yard lines for pistol.

#3 you want to park as close to your firing point so you don't have to carry your stuff to the line.

#4 everyone one I have had offduty contact with comes on with the badass attitude that, "just because they are off duty or in plain clothes you are trailer trash and can't get any other job so you became a cop" or "you guys think you are better than us". That is crap, some people just flat out don't like it when they plan a trip to the range and expect it to be empty and anyone else is there.

#5 if the range officer said it is ok for them to park there and shoot from there, follow chain of command and ask for a change, DON'T BE A DUMB ASS COWBOY HERO and think it is your place to go straighten them out, take it to the proper authority.

#6 refer to #1 and realize that tonight while you sleep, they probably will be out there watching your house. Give em a break, I am sure they are not there every time you go to the range.

too much whining not enough thinking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.