Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am stocking up on ammo for shooting the new Savage model 12 I will be picking up this weekend. Questions...

I received today the varmint ammo I ordered, but I also found in my shop some old ammo I forgot I had: It was intended for plinking with a Mini 14, so it ain't "top shelf" stuff! There are two boxes of Winchester manufactured 223 - white box, marked "made in USA", and "Cal. 5.56 mm 55 grain Ball". Is that the "Winchester in the white box" ammo some members of this forum are so fond of? I also found seven boxes of "Chinasport" .223 Rem ammo. The price is still on the boxes, and it was cheap! Anybody with experience in shooting that stuff?

JLC

·
Registered
726 Posts
NO JLC, this is the Ammo they are talking about

Here is a link to the Winchester White Box .223 varmint ammo that people have been referring to:

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=USA2232&cart=MjIzIFJlbWluZ3Rvbg==

You do not want to use FMJ ammo for varmint hunting . Not anywhere near as effective, and much more dangerous to use, due to the chance of ricochet.

I would also recommend that you try Black Hills "Blue Box" reloaded ammo using the 50 gr VMAX bullet. These are also boxed 40 rounds to the box.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
726 Posts
P.S. -- Here is the 50 gr VMAX Black Hills load in action

The 50 gr VMAX bullet fro the .223 exploded so violently, that this rockchuck's stomach, liver, and most of his intestines were completely blown outside of his body.

And you can see the huge spray of blood the bullet caused to be shot up in the air too. It was quite an awesome sight to see through the scope of my rifle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
223 Ammo

Thanks, Lance. I do know better than using FMJ in the field, I would only use the "ball ammo" for paper punching. Did not think the "white box" ammo would be the same I have, at least not with the same bullet, and I am grateful for the link.

I did order and receive one "blue box" of Black Hills remanufactured 60 gr SPT 223 ammo (50 rounds). I might get another box with 50 gr bullets. I also got a few boxes of Hornady 223 55 gr V-Max, Remington Premier AccuTip 55 gr, and Winchester Ballistic Slivertip 55 gr. I would not mind trying different factory ammo - any suggestions? I am willing to try any varmint ammo from 45 gr to 69 gr.

JLC

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The China Sport ammo is crap; poor accuracy, burns dirty, and the brass is thick and soft. If you shoot it, I'd leave the brass on the ground.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would not mind trying different factory ammo - any suggestions? I am willing to try any varmint ammo from 45 gr to 69 gr.

JLC
You can actually use even 40 gr bullets with good accuracy in a 1 in 9" twist barrel. Myself and a couple of my friends have had great results with that combo. So if you want another option to test with your rifle, try the Black Hills Blue Box loaded with the 40 gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tip.

But really, I think the 50 grain weight is the most versatile. It works great on small game, and fine on Coyotes too.

If you are hunting fur bearers for their fur, though, then these loads would not be recommended. My experience is that the 40 and 50 gr VMAX's do a lot of damage. And I've mainly hunted with ammo using those two bullets.

Lance

·
Registered
726 Posts
One more option

I forgot to mention Ultramax remanufacturered ammo. They offer some nice varmint reloads at good pricing. You can get 50 rounds of .223 loaded with Speer's nice 50 gr TNT hollowpoint for only $17.27, for example. If that shoots good in your gun, it would be most economical.

Anyway, feel free to check out their loads, here on the Sportsmansguide website:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=92048

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all!

I will buy some Ultramax ammo, and try some more boxes of the Black Hills remanufactured .223 ammo with 40 and 50 grain bullets.

After reading the info on the difference between NATO and 223 ammo, I will not fire the USA marked Winchester ammo in the Savage model 12.

I'll fire the .223 China Sport in a Mini 14 at short distances, and leave the cases on the ground as suggested!

Again, thanks to all who responded - I found the info given very valuable.

JLC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts