Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta get something different.. My coat says all the usual, "waterproof", "wicks away moisture", "breathable" yadda yadda yadda.. But it ain't cuttin' it.. I always end up soaked.. What rain gear is working for you.? Most I have tried either plain don't work or are "portable saunas" in disguise..
.. Thanks for any helpful information.!! d:^) Jake

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I don't think there is an answer for this one. I've tried them all, Goretex, to rubber. If it is raining out, the humidity level is at or real near 100% so there can't be evaporation. At the very least, you're going to get damp.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've had good luck..............

with the Frog Togs rainsuit. Extremely light, and does a good job.

ThJudg (Roger)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Rain gear

I've had great luck with Columbia. I have two different top & bottom outfits that I haven't had any issues with.

My light weight set I use for spring turkey hunting, I recall one early morning hunt during a big down pour when wearing these that I did not get wet at all.

Seems like the more you spend, the better quality you get with rain gear.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hawkeye hit that on on the head

Spend the dough or don`t go.
Here on the edge of the earth, in the Clearwater or Hoh river drainages, it`s easy to get 5 to 10 inches of rain in a day. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that the only thing that is going to keep you dry is sitting by the fire with a good book and a glass of the amber.

If you are out in our rain you are dry ONLY if you dont move. If you move and make heat, you`ll be wet. Most folks here know they will be wet so we buy the Helly Hanson like the commercial fishermen wear. It`s heavy rubberized but will last a LONG time. Rain gear here is for keeping the heat in, not for keeping the rain out....

In less heavy rain I wear the lightweight stuff so I can travel slowly and not generate too much heat.
In kodiak everyone wears hip boots to hunt with and LONG rain jackets to hang down past the hip boots. NO such thing as boots that keep your feet dry in Kodiak unless they are hipboots
Hope that helps

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've had a Browning Gortex rainsuit for several years, and it's works good. I even wear is on those windy cold days to cut the wind. On some of those warm turkey hunting days, you may work up a sweat if you do a lot of walking.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Your going to have to spend more $$$$$

The more you spend, the better the gear. However, as the earlier posts said, when you being to move around, your body heat must go somewhere, and if it's rubber or plastic outerwear, your probably going to get damp. The goretex fabric only lasts about 3-4 hours, before the rains soaks thru. Lately, as I get older, I tend to stay in on the wet days, or I use my Ameristep Outshouse blind, which works out very well. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ditto on Frog Togs

Been using Frog Togs for a few years now in my work. I'll wear them in the mornings while checking corn fields & can attest to their durability, comfort, & ability to shed moisture. Have'nt found much that are comparable in quality for the price. About $60+ or so at Bass Pro or Cabelas'. Not many color choices.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Frog Togs

Have a set for awhile now and I'm happy with them. Stay dry and they seem pretty tough. Guess you could pay 2-3 times as much but I don't think you would gain that much. Jim

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, fellas.!! I've heard good things about Frog Toggs.. We'll be getting something very soon.!! d:^) Jake

1 - 11 of 11 Posts