Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a bottle of RCBS Case Lube 2 for a number of years now. It went bad on me with small spots of a light brown mold visible inside the clear nozzle and the lube has a slight brown color. I had a bottle RCBS CL2 I bought last year as a back up which the lube is clear with no color. I removed the lube pad and washed it in warm water with Dawn dish soap. I guess because the lube is biodegradable and water soluble, it can get mold growing in the bottle. Although the lube pad didn’t have any mold growing on it. The thing is my loading room is in the house basement with a dehumidifier running. No mold anywhere in the basement, and raw steel can sit for months without rusting. I will continue to use RBCS CL2.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use the RCBS lube and pad for higher volume sizing when needed, and store my pad and bottle in a ziploc baggie when not in use. It's been a few months since I opened the bag or used the pad. Maybe I should look, but I don't remember any issues in the past. My "room" is a converted office space in the house, no basement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jimp,
I keep my lube pad in a thick mil ziplock bag also.

As for what is the small brown spots, I’m guessing it could be a mold. Although the lube had a slight brownish color, it still did its job without any scratched/scored/stuck cartridge cases. I switched to the new bottle I have. The older bottle I’ve had for about seven or eight years. When I apply it to the lube pad, I squeeze out two narrow lines the length of the cartridge I full length resizing, then spread it with a dulled single edge razor blade. The lube pad never really gets dirty as I always run the fired cartridge cases in my vibratory polisher with ground corn con prior to resizing, be it neck or full length, so I know I’m not sucking any dirt into the nozzle of the case lube bottle.

I tried calling RCBS, but I’m put on hold for 15 minutes, then I’m disconnected. I tried five different times with getting disconnected each time. I sent an email today, so I’ll see what they have to say.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I also clean my brass (either wet tumble or dry depending on time, etc.) before sizing. The brown could be some dirt or media that came from inside the brass as you lubed them on the pad. Some loose carbon from inside the brass possibly??

·
Registered
536 Posts
I use Frankford Arsenal spray case lube any time I am sizing more than a couple dozen rifle cases. Quick and easy to use.

If sizing just a few cases, will use Hornady Unique lube.

Haven't used RCBS lube in 20+ years now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good new&bad: Imperial makes an inside neck lube. Most recently this product comes in a kit with small container of media and small container of graphite like lube. Works great. Bad news is that the media leaves the case neck blackened. I really prefer the dry lube instead of a case lube inside the neck. This is another example of," ....what ever cranks your tractor."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Imperial inside case neck lube is graphite I believe. I’ve never used it.

For lubing the inside of the case neck, I use the RCBS CL2 on a nylon bore brush with one of the RCBS tool handles and apply the case lube on one end of the lube pad away from the part of the lube pad where I lube the cartridge case body. After resizing, I run the cartridge cases in ground corn cob a second time to clean off the case lube inside and outside.

I’ve also washed the lube off with scalding hot water and dish soap if the corn cob is worn out and I don’t have any fresh corn cob. After washing and rinsing, I’ll dry the cases in a oven set at 150° for a couple hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had used Imperial years before Redding bought the company. For case forming the current RCBS lube works better in my experience. Neck lube, for me, is not optional no matter what the product. I realize my comment about Imperial wax is heresy. Not trying to flame the product but sharing my experience. For resizing cases Imperial is unbeatable. For forming cases there are other better ways to go.

I have some RCBS lube in the plastic tube that came from an old inventory. The years old lube does very well with no signs of breaking down. Our experience is different

Added: The old RCBS lube appeared to be similar to STP.. Personally, it was an invention of the devil. Replaced the RCBS with Imperial in the day. This would have been in the late 1970's'-as I recall.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
For inside neck lubing, I use powdered graphite. I grabbed an empty tin of snuff from a buddy that chews, filled it about 3/4 full with #8 or #12 shot and dumped a teaspoon or two of powdered graphite. Closed the lid and shook it up real well. the graphite coated the shot. To use to lube inside necks, just push the case down into the tin of shot a couple of times and the neck is coated with powdered graphite. No brushes, no extras. You can wipe off the OD of the neck with a paper towel if you want. Works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For inside neck lubing, I use powdered graphite. I grabbed an empty tin of snuff from a buddy that chews, filled it about 3/4 full with #8 or #12 shot and dumped a teaspoon or two of powdered graphite.
The Imperial kit comes with media that is made up with plastic balls that work like the lead shot.

The new, to me, RCBS, lube works hundreds of times better than the goop of old. I use the new RCBS sparingly. No more dents in the shoulder forming cases or resizing. Yes, it's is easy to clean off the cases. Next round I'm going with the alcohol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts