Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

You no doubt have seen folks whittling the white ends off of matches, and peeling roll caps for cap guns.
Heres another option for some y'all who are always looking for something to work on. Bag does 2,000 primers.
Before I would pay Gunbroker prices, I would try this.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Hey CarlP. Still selling those once fired primers?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I’m all sold out right now Doug but I could probably sweep up a fresh batch from the floor of the reloading room.
Yeah, JR I’ve seen the YouTube videos with match-heads and the powder from caps but does anyone know someone who has actually tried any of these methods ? Seems like a lot of work for just one shot. ......Some people say the same thing about reloading ammo.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't think I would get that desperate as to remaking primers, have been finding primers locally at stores that stock reloading supplies. Stores don't get in alot in but a box of a thousand ot two a week and by stopping in a few times a week have picked a few thousand even if they limit the per day purchase to 200 or 500, they are still priced at $4 to $4.50 per hundred not the Gunbroker price

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
My wife's vacuum cleaner likely has at least 20-30 in the bag, and those would be live primers, from where I sit in my recliner and prime brass while watching TV. 😲

·
Registered
574 Posts
FYI , do any of you remember what happened to that shiny née cap pistol you got.
i remember mine got all corroded, after a dozen boxes of caps, to the point where the pistol wouldn’t work again.
The white tips on the matches is sulphur and that is quite corrosive also.
I’m not going to refill primers and ruin my rifle barrels. No way!
Besides that maybe the anti- gun people ploy to ruin and get rid of our guns. They aren’t taking them away from us, they have us ruining our own guns and WE are throwing them away.
just a thought.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Next will be dry cleaning toilet paper and using it again. We survived the toilet paper scare, the primer scare will pass too.
My wife's vacuum cleaner likely has at least 20-30 in the bag, and those would be live primers, from where I sit in my recliner and prime brass while watching TV. 😲
About 30 years ago was vacuuming the gun room carpet that had some spilled powder of course and some live primers heard a boom and had a small hole blown in the side of the old Hoover upright, it still worked for awhile with some duct tape over the hole.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Nope not for me. I use to have a container with about a 1/2 # of powder. Like a dummy it wasn’t labeled. I forgot overtime what it was later I dumped some unknown powder with it. A few weeks ago my daughter and SNL were over and I decided to light it on fire and my SNL decided to video it. It burnt like I thought it would. What I didn’t remember was a few live primers I must have dumped in there. I asked him if he got the video of it. He said he didn’t think so he was running. 😂

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Hmm, I see an opportunity here. Mfr pallettes w saaay a pattern of 40x40 shallow holes in it. The dia needs to be held to ten thousandth tolerance and depths to match either rifle or pistol....seems I've read .003 to .006" variation. Then get some retired gal from CCI to come give lessons on buttering the primer filled pallette. Yes sir a $$ saver for sure.
But of course primer sorters will be needed before the buttering process. A cottage biz is about to be borne!!!
I think G had it right....back to flinters and Sam will be in his element.....FOLLOW THROUGH.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
With everything else illegal that crosses the Texas-Mexico border, I find it hard to believe the Messicans and Roosians don't have a huge primer pipeline already operating 24/7. You could build a whole new town: Tula, Texas. Kind of has a ring to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts